Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Customs queries 2007/9/6 20:30
I notice that it states that personal items taken into the country should not exceed 200,000 yen. The problem is that I want to bring in my laptop as well as other electronics such as an mp3 player. My laptop is only a few months old and bought for a value for 1500 which amounts to roughly 350,000 yen. Do you think it would pose problems taking it to Japan if I were to declare a much lower price. Also is proof of purchase receipts normally required to be brought along with you?
by Kary  

... 2007/9/7 10:59
I worried about this a lot when I first came over as well as I had a few thousand USD in my computer and camera alone.

When you arrive in Japan you are asked to fill out a customs form. What you need to declare are items that will be "consumed" in Japan, which doesn't necessarily cover your personal items especially if you will bring them back to your home country. There is actually no space to declare your personal items on that form.

I'm not sure the legal consequences but in terms of getting through customs I would only declare things you are bringing as gifts and things like business samples.

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/7 11:08
Only Dutitable items (eg Tabbacco Items, alcholoic items) OR items that you have on your posession but planning to give to someone in Japan (gifts) need to be declared.

Your camera, laptop computer etc do not need to be listed.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread