Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bicycle on the Path of Philosophy? 2007/9/7 12:26
Our family of four is planning to rent bicycles for one day in Kyoto.

My question is this: what do we do with our bikes if we want to use the Path of Philosophy. (It doesn't look like a bike track.) Would it be OK to walk them along it, or should we leave them at one end (but then we'd have to backtrack).

Thanks to anyone who can advise me.
by Susan R  

Path of Philosopher 2007/9/7 14:42
There is a narrow street along the foot walkway, so bicycle should be no problem. Although because of the narrow lane careful driving, in some parts moving the bicycle, will be necessary.
by Peter rate this post as useful

biking in Kyoto 2007/9/7 17:40
I always thought that it was "the path of the philosophers", the place were philosophers walked while debating philosophical questions..A t any rate it is a very pretty area. I last saw it in April 06 with the cherry trees in full bloom. The thousands of people weren't not even a distraction as it made us foreigners feel that we were sharing the Japanese culture with them. Anyway, riding bikes by the path is not a problem, it is going there from other places in Kyoto!. the main streets aren't very hospitable, with lots of cars, buses etc., this leaves small streets and lanes but they too can be crowded and most small streets don't even have a sidewalk, only a white line 3 ft from the buildings, and of course pedestrians walk there, cars park there too etc. something to think about!.
My apologies if you are used to ride bikes daily in heavy traffic, I am thinking about the occasional bike rider..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Bicycle 2007/9/7 19:14
Riding a bicycle in Kyoto is great! but try to avoid the main roads in the city center, if you are not used of riding a bicycle in a busy city. in that case take the small streets paralel to the main road or (if possible) take the sidewalk but than be carefull of pedestrians
by Johny rate this post as useful

Spandex in Kyoto!! 2007/9/9 22:39
Hi Susan, having a bike in Kyoto is fantastic. I had my bike everywhere, there are some points on the path which a proper mountain bike is needed, very rough but one should not really be there. I don't know what frightened the old Japanese tourists more the fast moving bike or the gaijin in bright spandex!
by James rate this post as useful

Philoophers' walk 2007/9/10 02:40
check the internet site below.
www.khulsey.com/travel/japan_kyoto.html
scroll down to the item about the walk then click on photos of the philosophers walk . the photos will give you a good idea. I was there several times and I can't see where rough patches could be! as another poster mentioned there is a narrow street on one side with houses and shops, and the bikes and cars of the locals so it can't be that rough.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread