Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ashiyu = Foot Bath Question Ettiquette 2007/9/11 09:37
Do you have to wash your feet before dipping into the Foot Bath? What is the proper ettiquette?

Will there be a towel available to dry off your feet?
by Brad Pitt  

... 2007/9/11 10:51
you don't have to wash before dipping your feet and towels aren't provided. In fact there aren't really any facilities at most ashiyu, they're basically just a bench around a pond of hot water.

If you're worried about things like athletes foot, onsen water is thought to be hot enough and acidic enough to kill most bacteria and viruses, although I'm not sure how medically sound this belief is.

If you're worried because your feet are really dirty then you could splash some water on them to the side of the ashiyu to clean them off before putting them in the pool.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

am or pm for footbath? 2007/9/16 08:52
Is it best to go to a footbath in the morning or night?

I am trying to plan when I should go there.........before or after I go to Takayama ?
by lovely me rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/16 13:47
onsen water is thought to be hot enough and acidic enough to kill most bacteria and viruses

The characteristics of onsen waters varies greatly from source to source. Some are acidic, some are alkaline, some are close to PH neutral. Also, the temperature at the source varies greatly between waters from close to 100 degrees to less than 40 degrees. But I suspect that the hygiene aspect is been properly considered when building foot baths.

Is it best to go to a footbath in the morning or night?

Anytime is okay.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread