Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Postpartum body 2007/9/12 02:58
Hi all,

I'm American and my fiance is Japanese. I just found out I'm pregnant. I am concerned about the way my body will look after pregnancy and I have some questions that hopefully won't sound stupid. I've noticed many Japanese women who have young children are very slim and have flat stomachs. What do Japanese women do to regain their pre-pregnancy body shape? What do they do during their pregnancy to help their body bounce back after birth? I know in America at least, there is a really high standard of expectations for what a new mother should look like that few women can ever meet. Are expectations more realistic in Japan? Are Japanese people more forgiving of stretch marks and loose skin as long as the mother is in shape?

My body image is pretty fragile and even though I'm small I've never had a bikini body. But I've been looking at a website called Shape of a Mother where women of all ages post pictures of their postpartum bodies and I'm completely freaked out! I've got nine long months to go (God willing) so I appreciate any advice and insight!

Thanks!
by Jenny  

Japan 2007/9/12 22:21
Disclaimer- I have never been pregnant but here are my thoughts on the subject.

I've seen that website, and it scared me too, but I think that women who have been particularly stretched out of shape post their photos on that site. It also seems that some of them gained a lot of extra weight during their pregnancy.

For an idea of what might happen to you, have a look at your mother if possible- my mother had 3 children and didn't end up with that loose skin or all the stretch marks. We were all born when she was quite young- I was born when she was 21- and that helped I think.

As for being in Japan, a lot of Japanese stay at home mothers wear quite dowdy clothes- big shapeless pinafore type dresses are popular for some reason- so it seems that they are not expexted to be in shape straight away!

I have heard that relative to what pregnant women in the west are recommended to gain during pregnancy, the amount of weight recommended in Japan is lower.

A Japanese woman I know who recently gave birth had her old shape back more or less straight away, but she didn't get huge during the pregnancy- she looked 5 months pregnant at 8 months.

Another Japanese friend gained more weight during her pregnancy and seems to have kept a lot of it.

Don't worry about people here judging you by your post-baby body- it's unlikely to happen.

by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/12 23:56
Congratulations, Jenny.

First of all, I think this issue has less to do with race, but more to do with the indivisual. I mean, look at all those American celebrities who give birth to loads of children and still look like a virgin in their nude shots! And it's the same in Japan. Only the "successful" mothers expose themselves on TV. There was even an extremely skinny Japanese fashion model, best when showing her legs, who looked like someone else in a photo with her young daughter. This was before her comeback.

Anyway, in means of health, pregnant women in Japan are encouraged to get balanced nutrition but less fat and sugar. This is to prevent problems such as high blood pressure etc. that may affect your baby or its birth.

If you're in Japan, you can obtain a Mother And Child's Handbook at your local hokenjo (public health center) which contains a chart to keep record of your weight. You are to attend a parents-to-be class during your better months, and there they will teach you how to calculate the ideal weight for each of your months. The doctors will also check your weight upon your regular check-ups. Of course, whether you can eat right and excersize right is all up to you.

The way the belly shows during pregnancy as a result of this, vary from person to person. Some bellys stick out, some don't. This has less to do with your health condition or postpartum figure.

Once the baby is born, breastfeeding is generally encouraged in Japan. Breastfeeding not only is considered good for the baby's mental health and nutrition, but is also supposed to make your womb shrink promptly.

Also after your 5th month of pregnancy, wearing "hara-obi" which is a piece of long cloth, is a traditional custom. It is supposed to support your big belly gently while pregnant, and you can wear it tighter after the baby is born so that it will support the shrinking of your womb. A lot of people may prefer to wear a special girdle instead, or both. Corsets are available for postpartum as well.

In means of beauty however, doctors won't tell you so much about it. You gather information from friends and the media. Various cream is sold to prevent stretch marks, and a mother of two said she wears her corset as tight as possible as soon as the baby is born.

But you have to keep in mind that you shouldn't be doing harsh excersize right after the birth, and you need to take a lot of good nutrition to breastfeed the baby. So it's not that easy to maintain your figure, especially with your breast being three times bigger than ever.

But fear not when your skin starts looking like a deflated balloon. Sooner or later, it catches up and your skin will be tighter again.

That said, I think that very few people get their figure back 100%. Your pelvis has expanded, and your nipples have been sucked day after day, and even though you weigh a lot less than you used to, funny that you can't wear the same pants or skirts you had before.

But that's that. Even if you don't have a baby, humans age one way or another. You are not the same person you used to be, but you can become a new beautiful mature woman who just happens to need to renew all her wardrobe.

Sira's right about looking at your mother. Mother and daughter tend to have similar physical characterisitics. My doctor actually told me that. So it also helps you predict a lot of health conditions allowing you to be prepared in advance.

Joining one of the many mix-married family groups or simply making one yourself, will help you gather and exchange more information. Speaking of international parents' groups, I used to join two, and I never noticed any difference between race, as far as postpartum figure is concerned.

"Are Japanese people more forgiving of stretch marks and loose skin as long as the mother is in shape?"

Well, as long as you don't wear bikinis, no one will notice.
by Uco, Japanese mom rate this post as useful

re: Postpartum body 2007/9/13 01:30
I found this post very interesting because my Japanese wife recently gave birth to our first child. Over the course of her pregnancy, we had many interesting conversations about the differences between Japan and my home country of Canada (where she gave birth).

I have heard that relative to what pregnant women in the west are recommended to gain during pregnancy, the amount of weight recommended in Japan is lower.

Even our Canadian family doctor said something similar to this. According to her, too many women in Canada put on an unhealthy amount of weight during pregnancy. My wife was very conscious of her weight and, following Japanese belief, aimed to gain 1kg per month. Of course, her gain wasn't predictable like that, but, just before birth, she was about 10kg over her pre-pregnancy weight.

After giving birth, my wife was SHOCKED that she still had a bit of a belly. She said that she looked like she was still 5 months pregnant and felt a little depressed about it. However, after a few weeks of breastfeeding, her belly-bump slowly disappeared and no stretch-marks remained.

As Uco mentioned above, my wife wore a hara-obi during pregnancy, but not during the post-birth period, even though her mother greatly recommended it. However, our Canadian doctor recommended against wearing one post-birth saying that it's better for the womb to shrink naturally.

A few days after giving birth, my wife was surprised that no strectch marks had appeared and asked our visiting public health nurse. She said that, in her 25 years of experience, younger women are more prone to getting stretch marks. My wife, who is in her early-30's, didn't get any.
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2007/9/13 05:27
Hi Sira and Uco,

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. I don't want anyone to think I thought it was a racial thing. I was just interested in learning if there were things Japanese women do specially to get their figures back after having a baby, since the ladies I've known have looked so good afterwards.

Unfortunately my mom does have stretch marks but even worse when she gave birth to my brother, she was left with an overhanging apron of skin that she was never able to get rid of. I don't know how much weight she gained during her pregnancy; she is shorter than me and my brother was big. Also she never exercised or breast fed. So maybe it will be different for me--hopefully!

I don't want to sound vain; I am excited and I just want to do this right so I don't have to worry about it later.

I've heard of wearing a girdle or corset after the baby is born to help get the belly back in shape. I would definitely like to try it.

Maybe my fiance's mom will have some ideas to share when we tell her.

Thanks again! And of course I am welcoming more input from anyone!
by Jenny rate this post as useful

Post partum Body 2007/9/13 06:17
Being pregnant can be unforgiving on our bodies at times. I think genetics has a lot to do with it. Enjoy your pregnancy and dont think about what your body will look like. If your husband loves you, he'll love your imperfections, if and when they occur. I have a 6mth old and i hate my body. But my husband loves it, i'm relearning to do the same.

Congrats by the way, you'll be fine.
by Lisa rate this post as useful

depends... 2007/9/13 07:29
Condition of the body after birthing depends on many things. Of course genetics is a big factor as is diet and fitness. Restricting food intake is not advised but eating healthy is a must! Walking for exerecise is great way to keep in shape and in Japan, people do walk more than US.I have US friends who thought it was ok to eat any food like ice creams everyday and fast food and many not healthy foods. They had a harder time looking back to normal after. Just eat well and healthy and remember you are growing a new person!
One factor not mentioned which three of my friends had is the method of birth can effect the body greatly.
A csec birth can clip the muscles and leave the skin and tummy hanging while a more natural style birth is much easier to recover the body from. I am not saying avoid Csec at all costs, sometimes it is needed to have a safe birth but it can effect the body.
A good thing to remember too is, those celebs can afford top have extra skin removed when having a Csec.They also can afford a personal trainer and chef. Finally, it is true no one will care about the stretch marks and differences in your body but I can understand it is important to you. I bet when you have your baby, your guy will love it more as it gave him such a precious gift of a child!
by Umi rate this post as useful

On a related note 2007/9/13 11:14
Speaking of cultural differences, I just remembered that when we used to live in L.A. back in the early 70s, people of the Japanese community found it ammusing that local Americans would wear whatever they want no matter their physical appearances.

For example, they'd get a tan no matter how much blemishes they'd get, they wore mini skirts even if they're thighs were as wide as their waists, and they wore bikinis no matter how fat their belly was.

Attracted to this, my mother started wearing two piece bathing suits dispite her stretch marks. Just be yourself. You'll look great that way! And enjoy a whole theater performance happen live right under your shoulders on the months to come!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thank you for answers 2007/9/15 01:50
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your answers. This is a very interesting subject. Unfortunately my doctor called me today with some blood results, and I am no longer pregnant. But I will remember all your advice for next time. Wow, I'm really sad!

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to write such thoughtful answers to my question.

Jenny
by Jenny rate this post as useful

reply to this thread