Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido in Dec07- itinerary 2007/9/12 17:38
Hi,
My hubby and I are planning to go Hokkaido this coming dec. Torn between package tour or travelling on our own. Our planned itinerary is:
Day 1.Fly into Tokyo Narita
Take domestic flight to Sapporo Chitose
Head on to Niseko for 2 days of skiing bu bus
Day 3.Travel to Asahikawa, Daisetsuzan via train
Day 4.Head on to Kushiro
Day 5.Tour ard Lake Akan and Shiretoko
Day 6.Travel back to Sapporo and use Sapporo as base
Day 7.Travel to lake Toya
Day 8. Travel to Hakodata
Day 9. Travel to Otaru
Day 10. Aboard flights home

Any comments would be very helpful :)
by Kimmy  

... 2007/9/13 19:09
I am afraid, this is not viable itinerary! It is too packed and underestimates travel time.

Fly into Tokyo Narita
Take domestic flight to Sapporo Chitose

As you probably know, there are not many direct flights between Narita Airport and Sapporo, and these few flights are popular. There are many more flights between Tokyo's Haneda Airport and Sapporo, but the transfer from Narita to Haneda is time-consuming. Also, there arn't that many buses between Chitose Airport and Niseko. In any case, you will have to arrive in Narita relatively early in the day in order to make it to Niseko within the day. In case you have not done so yet, confirm the timetables.

Head on to Niseko for 2 days of skiing bu bus

It takes half a day to get from Niseko to Daisetsuzan on day 3. That leaves you with 1.5 days of skiing in Niseko at the most.

Day 3.Travel to Asahikawa, Daisetsuzan via train

There is no train to Daisetsuzan. You will have to use the bus for the last section of the trip. There are relatively many bus connections to Sounkyo, but bus connections to Asahidake Onsen are few.

Day 4.Head on to Kushiro

Again, it takes about half a day to travel from Daisetsuzan to Kushiro. Consequently, you will have just a few hours in Daisetsuzan itself.

It is just too packed!

Day 5.Tour ard Lake Akan and Shiretoko

One day is not enough to tour both national parks, especially not by public transportation.

Day 8. Travel to Hakodata

It takes 3.5 hours to travel from Sapporo to Hakodate. That means 7 hours on the train on that day.

As you can see, this itinerary needs some major modifications, i.e. either drop some of the destinations or extend your trip by at least four days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread