Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying video games in Japan 2007/9/12 19:48
Hi there!

When I have my trip to Japan, I hope to buy some video games. What my question is, is that do video games sold in Japan have an option to change the language into English? If not, are there any stores in Tokyo of Kyoto that sell English translations?

Also, how would I ask "Does this game translate into English?" in Japanese?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
by Kelly  

... 2007/9/13 00:43
what system are you buying for?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/13 01:03
It wholly depends on the game. Some games are just japaense text directions etc only, some japanese games are designed with english text and dialog with subtitles, some have english text but are only sold in Japan, its a whole mix of different things.

Not to mention, the games you buy in Japan might or might not work on your home system to begin with, so it depends games for what system, and region too.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/13 01:04
If a game has been translated into english from a Japanese version, then its been marketed out overseas, so most likely you'll find it in your home country, rather then finding it in Japan, as the market base is almost nil for it.
by John rate this post as useful

"English" games in Japan 2007/9/13 02:30
I looked when I was in Akiba last year & while I did find a couple of ''imported'' English versions of games they were as expensive if not more so than at home. The exception is something like Phoenix Wright on the DS where the Japanese version also has the English translation on the cart.
by Stan Cox rate this post as useful

reply to this thread