Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does Japanese etiquette apply at school? 2007/9/13 06:05
Hi! I am an American and I always sit by at lunch and say hi to a Japanese girl whom I would like to become better friends with. I would like to know if I need to follow all of the Japanese etiquette that she is probably used to at the lunch table or at school. I cannot speak Japanese and she speaks very little English but somehow we understand eachother. We make eye contact and smile often and laugh at jokes together. Is this considered rude? I would really like to get to know her better and have been researching Japanese culture, customs, and etiquette. Is there anything I can do too make her feel more welcome here in America?
by Girl who wants to learn more about Japan  

. 2007/9/13 11:46
You are in U.S., so do not worry about Japanese ettiquette. Young people don't care to followt it anyway.

Asking her about Japanese shool life is a good way to start a conversation with her. You could ask her if there is anything you can do to make her feel comfortable. I am sure she will be happy to have a freiend like you.
by Miki-chan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread