Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Paying bills at a convenience store 2007/9/13 09:37
I have heard that you can pay your utility bills at the many thousands of convenience stores in Tokyo. I was wondering if this was a good idea. For example, is there extra paperwork required? Is this a reliable way to pay bills, or is there a better way?
by Bob  

... 2007/9/13 11:33
It's very convenient and reliable. Check the back of the bill when you get it in the mail for the list of convenience stores that you can pay at. Go there and bring it to the counter and pay. The cashier will scan it, stamp the bill in many places, take part of it, and give the rest back to you as a receipt. As far as I understand the payment is transferred pretty much instantly. Can be quite convenient as convenience stores are open 24/7.

Just note that some bills cannot be paid at the convenience store. Depends on the company. Just check the bill for logos from convenience stores. If it has no barcode or no store logos then you probably can't pay it there. You can also set up to pay directly from your Japanese bank account, but that requires Japanese skills. Cell phone bills can be paid at the respective carriers store. Gas and electricity can be paid at their respective offices. In the case that you can actually pay at the Conbini then it is most convenient if you don't speak Japanese.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread