Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

reserved or no reserve JR Pass 2007/9/15 18:24
I'll be travelling using JR Pass from tokyo to kyoto on tuesday and come back to tokyo on sunday with 4 year old child.
Do you think i need to reserve the seat or not?? if i reserve the seat, will my child get a seat?
Thanks
by m0nalisa  

... 2007/9/16 12:32
I always make seat reservations just for the peace of mind. It takes just a minute and costs around 300-700 Yen per person.

However, since you travel with a 4 year old child, the situation is a little bit more complex. You may be aware of this, but I am going to mention it, nevertheless.

Four year olds travel for free, unless they occupy a reserved seat, in which case you have to pay child fare (half price). So, there are two ways to avoid paying the child:

1) your child sits on your lap (not sure whether this is practical with a 4 year old)

2) you use non-reserved seats

Whether trains are crowded or not depends on the time of the day and some other difficult to predict factors.

But generally speaking: if your journey starts at Tokyo Station (the first station of the train service), then you can relatively easily secure a seat by lining up on the platform early enough.

But in case of Kyoto Station, there is a bigger chance that the non-reserved seats are already occupied, because it is not the first station of the train service (it comes from Osaka, Okayama, Hiroshima or Fukuoka).
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread