Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cell vs. Landline? 2007/9/16 07:43
Please help me estimate what it might cost to own a phone/line in Japan. The contract would be for about two years, not a tourist rental. I have looked at the DoCoMo site, but can't really decipher it. Here in the US, we ditched our landline phones and only have cells. It's wonderful. Is that a practical option in Japan? Is is prohibitively expensive to make/receive a call to the US from a cell? What about internet service, then? Will I need a phone line for that or use a wi-fi connection? Bottom line, about how much will should I budget for phone service (ideally cell), for me and a second phone to keep tabs on my pre-teen son? Thanks.
by azvlr  

... 2007/9/16 14:19
Typical cell phone plans cost around 3,000 to 10,000 Yen. It can get more expensive if you use it a lot.

Here in the US, we ditched our landline phones and only have cells. It's wonderful. Is that a practical option in Japan?

Yes, it is a practical option.

Is is prohibitively expensive to make/receive a call to the US from a cell?

Yes. Therefore, I recommend to use Skype or a similar service for international calls:
http://www.skype.com/intl/ja/

What about internet service, then? Will I need a phone line for that or use a wi-fi connection?

I recommend to get an optical fiber connection. It costs around 5000 Yen per month.

Bottom line, about how much will should I budget for phone service (ideally cell), for me and a second phone to keep tabs on my pre-teen son?

About 5000 Yen for your cell phone. 3000 Yen for your son's cell phone and 5000 Yen for optical fiber internet connection. The above assumes moderate cell phone use.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Cell vs. Landline 2007/9/17 00:23
Thanks for the replies Uji. It is starting to sound as if I can actually make it.
by avlr rate this post as useful

phones 2007/9/17 09:13
My husband and I don't have a landline in our house. My cellphone package with au costs 4,300 yen a month- a fairly cheap one.

I usually use Skype or Skype out to call overseas, even to banks etc.

I know a lot of people who use Brastel cards to call overseas- they seem to be a good option.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread