Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1.5-year vs 2-year Japanese classes? 2007/9/17 10:02
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I had a question regarding 2 year versus 1.5 year Japanese language programs. We are planning to study in Kyushu.

How much are we losing in terms of quality of education? It's apparent that the shorter course is more intensive, but can anyone offer details from firsthand experience?

We've travelled, lived in Japan before, so we're concerned with the classes as opposed to seeing Japan, etc.

Thanks again,
peanut
by peanut  

depends 2007/9/17 12:10
I think it will depend on a number of things - the length of the course is the least of your worries. Do you have a specific school in mind? If so, could you provide a link? I would recommend joining a program which does not use English in class at all. If you join a program which is a "prep for University entrance" type course, you will probably learn a lot more Japanese than if it is a "fun year abroad for English speakers" type program. Once you have narrowed it down to a couple of specific schools or programs, please post again and get people's opinions.
by sazae-san rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/17 12:51
I agree with the earlier poster that duration would not be your biggest concern :) Look around for reputation of different schools, as well as their students' mix and the objectives (whether the students are studying for the purpose of entering Japanese universities, or aiming to join Japanese companies, etc.)

I thought that 2 year vs. 1.5 year cources were provided for flexibility for the students - to give more flexilibity in enrolling and completing the courses in time after they finish their school year and for enrolling into Japanese universities (Japanese school year is from April to March, while in some other countries it may be from Sept. to July/August).
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread