Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita to Kasai Rinkai Koen 2007/9/17 11:35
What is the easiest (fuss-free, minimal train changes) way to get to Kasai Rinkai Koen station from Narita?

At the time of my arrival in Tokyo, I would not be able to catch the limousine bus to Disney Resort Areas (which is actually the easiest way to get in), as all the buses have stopped running for the day.

So I have to take a train. Looking at the Jorudan schedules, I have the following questions:

1) I have to take the Keisei Ltd Express to Keisei Funabashi. Do I get off here to take the next train (Sobu line) to Nishi-Funabashi? Does this involve a long walk? Is the transfer an easy one? Do I need to buy a different ticket? And then when I reach the next stop at Nishi-Funabashi, do I get off and get on another train? Same questions as above - another ticket? Easy to make the connection?

Seems like there are a lot of connections/transfers to make. I'm pretty confused. Can someone clarify?

Alternatively would it be easier to get on the NEX to Tokyo and then transfer on the Keio line to KRK? I've compared the journey times and this one seems a lot longer. So unless the first option to Funabashi is really a lot of work and hassle, I would have no choice but to take the NEX to Tokyo and transfer from there.

Another question - transferring at Tokyo: would this mean a long walk in the station? Noticed on Hyperdia that the walking time is 18min!

Sorry, final question: if we miss the times of departure stated on Jorudan or Hyperdia, would it take very long for the next train to come along?

I am travelling with a 2yo and a 12yo and I am trying to get a route in that is the easiest - considering that this is my first time in Tokyo and I don't speak Japanese.

Thanks!
by PK  

... 2007/9/17 12:10
The faster routes involve two or more transfers along the way. So, if a minimal number of transfers is most important to you, I recommend to take the Narita Express to Tokyo Station and then the JR Keiyo Line to Kasai Rinkai Koen.

The walk from the Narita Express platform to the platform of the JR Keiyo Line is very long (about 10 minutes), but there are rolling walkways along the way.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks - more questions 2007/9/17 12:42
Thanks for the information Uji.

also looking at hyperdia, would you have an idea what the purple symbol with the arrow pointing down means? And what would the pink symbol with the circular arrow mean? I tried to look for a reference table on teh website but couldn't find any.

the time taken using NEX to KRK and from NishiFundabashi to KRK differs quite a lot. So even though there are transfers I would still consider the route from Nishi Fundabashi. Are the transfers complicated? Within the same station?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
by PK rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/17 12:50
If you are traveling with two young ones, I reccomend the route with the fewest transfers and that would be Narita Express to Tokyo Station, then Keiyo/Musashino line to Kasai Rinkai Koen.

The transfer at Tokyo station is long because the walk from the Narita Express platforms to the Keiyo Platforms is some distance, but as mentioned there are connecting walkways, esclators/elevators etc.

A transfer at Keisei Funabashi to Funabashi is a physical transfer of station from the Keisei Station to the JR station, and yes requires two tickets because you are riding Keisei trains first, then riding JR trains second.

If you are taking Narita Express to Tokyo station to Kasai Rinkai Koen station, it can be one ticket, because it is all JR trains.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/17 13:01
So even though there are transfers I would still consider the route from Nishi Fundabashi. Are the transfers complicated? Within the same station?

The fastest way involves a complicated transfer from the Keisei Funabashi Station building to the JR Funabashi Station building, which I don't recommend.

Simpler would be taking:
1) JR Sobu Line Rapid from Narita Airport to Funabashi
2) JR Sobu Line Local from Funabashi to Nishi-Funabashi Station
3) JR Musashino Line from Nishi-Funabashi to Kasai Rinkai Koen

The transfers are all within JR stations, but there is only one departure per hour. And the time saved over the NEX option would not be that great. It would be cheaper, though.

also looking at hyperdia, would you have an idea what the purple symbol with the arrow pointing down means?

It means that you don't have to switch trains. The train just passes that station.

And what would the pink symbol with the circular arrow mean?

It means that the you change directions at that particular station. You do have to change trains.

http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/htm/help_k.htm
by Uji rate this post as useful

within Tokyo station... 2007/9/17 13:05
Thanks John. Within Tokyo station, while walking to the keiyo platforms, would this be clearly signposted in english? and would there be places selling food/snacks?

Also, I don't understand about there being only one ticket. I thought the NEX is one ticket, then I would have to buy a second ticket for the keiyo line right?

OK I think I get it... 2007/9/17 13:10
Thanks Uji for the clear explanations and the link.

I think I get it. Looking at this, the most optimal way does seem to be via tokyo station.

With only one departure per hour from the Musahino line and the Sobu line from Funabashi, and with me being quite the 'blur' traveller, it seems likely that I might take longer to make those transfers and if i miss the trains, then i'll have to end up waiting even longer than if I took the NEX to Tokyo station!

So thanks everyone for the valuable input!

. 2007/9/17 13:13
Yes, they are marked, and yes there are various food and convince store type Kiosks to be found on the platforms and in around Tokyo station as you move.

By the ticket:
I suggest you purchase the Suica & Nex package:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

It comes with a Narita Express ticket that would be valid to Tokyo station, at Tokyo Station the ticket is valid to most of the JR stations in the region, including Kasai Rinkai Koen. You also get a Suica card (do not use the Suica card at first, just the NEX ticket to ride from Narita Airport to Kasai Rinkai Koen), the Suica card can be saved for later usage for other train rides, or purchases.

. 2007/9/17 13:19
I thought the NEX is one ticket, then I would have to buy a second ticket for the keiyo line right?

If for whatever reason you didn'get the the Suica & Nex package (you should) .

The normal practice would be for someone to purchase a base fare ticket that covers Narita Airport to Kasai Rinkai Koen station, and then to ride the Narita Express they pay extra on top for to Tokyo Station. So you can get one ticket to ride the whole route.

If you were to ride Keisei to Keisei Funabashi then changed to JR at Funabashi. You would need one ticket for Keisei Railways to Keisei Funabashi, and then when you changed you need to get another ticket, this time Japan Railways ticket at Funabashi Station to Kasai Rinkai Koen station. Again in this case since it is all JR, you get one ticket, (even though you transfer at Nishi-Funabashi, it is to another JR train but you don't need to get another ticket there.

Anycase disregard all of that if you get the Suica & Nex package.

Suica + NEX 2007/9/17 13:20
Thanks John.

So the NEX ticket itself gets me to KRK? I always thought the NEX only gets me to Tokyo station.

SOrry, one last question:

When we leave KRK to catch the shinkansen at Tokyo station (going to Kyoto on the Sunrise Tours' early rise plan), the plan says we have to catch the shinkansen between 6.50am to 7.20am. So what would be the best time to leave KRK station for Tokyo? Would we hit rush hour? And from the Keiyo line, would it be a long walk to the shinkansen platforms? This early in the morning, would food stalls be open - I would assume we'd have to miss the hotel breakfast.

Thanks!

. 2007/9/17 23:11
Yes under the Suica & NEX package, the NEX portion of the ticket will get you all the way from Narita Airport, transfer at Tokyo and to Kasai Rinkai Koen.

I don't ride the Keiyo line much to know if its busy at that time in, but certainly rush hour does pick up after 7, and yes the walk from the Keiyo Line platforms (basement) to the Shinkansen lines (upper floors of Tokyo Station) is a long one. I would add in 20+ minutes to do the transfer, maybe more if you are carrying a 2 year old with a 12 year old WITH luggage (or you can forward your luggage (takes +1 day to deliver) from your hotel to another hotel). So if a Shinkansen left Tokyo station at 06:50am I would leave Kasai Rinkai Koen on the 05:59 train arriving at Tokyo at 06:11, giving me about 20-30 minutes to make the transfer without feeling too rush (especially with kids), and giving time to stop at the kiosk or store that maybe open on the Shinkansen side of Tokyo Station.

You can either buy food from the station kiosks or stores, or onboard the train.

An early rise indeed! 2007/9/18 09:58
Thanks John for the very useful information.

I'm just banging my head against the wall here at the thought of waking up my five kids to get to Tokyo station that early! :-)

reply to this thread