Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Years in Japan: Tokyo or Kyoto? 2007/9/17 16:59
Hello everyone. My friend and I are going to be in Japan from Dec. 24 - Jan 3. My idea was to go to Tokyo for the first couple of days and then spend the rest of the time in Kansai. My friend thinks that it would be better to go to Kansai first and then Tokyo for New Years. I am under the impression that Tokyo does not have a NYC Times Square type atmosphere, and that it might be best to spend New Years in Kyoto. Where do you think is better for New Years, Kyoto or Tokyo? Why? Thanks you.
by Krag  

Kyoto first... 2007/9/17 19:57
In Japan most of shops are closed after Dec. 27/28. So, you may feel bored spending in Tokyo at the end of year.

Contrary to this, temples and shrines are always open and there will be quite few visitors at that time. If you'd like serene atmosphere, Kyoto would be good to spend at the end of year. But after Jan. 1, famous temples and shrines are going to be full of people everywhere in Japan.

Hope this helps a bit.
by Duck rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/17 21:35
In Japan most of shops are closed after Dec. 27/28.

Really? Where I live, most shops are closed on January 1, but are open on most other days. Some are even open on January 1. Some are closed January 1-3.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/17 22:02
If you go for a quiet New Year's Eve, go for Kyoto. But be prepared for certain things to be closed at the beginning of the year because of the more traditional nature of the city - meaning, some shops *might* be closed from Jan. 1st to 3rd (except for shrines and temples, of course, they will be open for New Year worshippers who fill the streets).

If you go for a partying (countdown party together with many other Westerners as well as locals, maybe in a bar in Roppongi or some other place), go for Tokyo. Many shops will close maybe early in the evening on the 31st to the 1st (some are open even on the 1st too), but nowadays many department stores open at latest on the 2nd so you would not really get bored.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/9/18 07:40
Thanks for the replies. If we decide to do Kyoto, any recommendations on where to ring in the new year? I hear that there are some places that have lots of food stalls set up where many people go through. Perhaps Yasaka Shrine?
by Krag rate this post as useful

Sorry, it was confusing. 2007/9/18 11:36
Really? Where I live, most shops are closed on January 1, but are open on most other days. Some are even open on January 1. Some are closed January 1-3.
That's quite right if you say about shopping or entertainment districts. However, business/residential areas become deserted at that time. Anyway, supermarkets or convenience stores are available. So, no one will feel inconvenience.
by Duck rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2007/9/19 07:35
Thanks for the information on Tokyo. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do in Kyoto for New Years?
by Krag rate this post as useful

reply to this thread