Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which travel pass with a student visa ? 2007/9/18 06:51
Hi,
I will travel from France to Japan with British Airways next year, then from Japan to Australia with Jetstar (Qantas) and back to France.
During my stay in Japan, I would like to fly to Okinawa and use a OneWorld Yokoso Visit Japan Air Pass for that. As I have a college student visa, can I use that kind of passes ? Is a student status similar to a visitor status ?
Secondly, my travel agent is not very familiar with this pass (he's more specialized in Australia than Japan actually) and he doesn't want to sell it to me, says it's too complicated with too many restrictions, never works, blablabla. Can I buy this pass in another travel agency without buying the international flights from them ?
Thank you very much for your answers.

PS: I've already been to Japan two times (Honshu and Hokkaido) and it was great thanks to all your help in planning my trip. You guys are fantastic ! Thank you so much.
by Marie  

... 2007/9/18 11:44
As I have a college student visa, can I use that kind of passes ? Is a student status similar to a visitor status ?

Marie, do you mean that you have a student visa for Japan?
by JLady rate this post as useful

Yes 2007/9/18 17:48
Yes, I do have a student visa for Japan. I will be studying at Nagoya University the whole year.
by Marie rate this post as useful

Yokoso air pass 2007/9/18 17:59
The visit Japan Yokoso from oneworld is available for you. All railpasses for "temporary visitors" are not available for your type of visa.
See following webside for booking oneworld Yokoso: http://www.oneworld.com/ow/air-travel-options/single-contine...
by Peter rate this post as useful

^_^ 2007/9/18 18:10
Thank you very much for your help Peter!
by marie rate this post as useful

NO! 2007/9/19 09:21
If you are in Japan on a student visa, you are considered a resident of Japan and CANNOT use the air pass! Only temporary visitors can.

by Uji rate this post as useful

oneworld Yokoso airpass 2007/9/19 15:55
oneworld Yokoso condition is different from Rail Pass for "temporary visitor" status in passport. It is available for residents of the country of sale outside Japan and only together with the booking homecountry - Japan - homecountry. The first innerJapan sector being booked confirmed with the original (longdistance ) flight and therefore before having a "temporary visitor" stamp or other permit to land in Japan in your passport. Other up to four additional innerJapan sectors bought at time of longdistance booking in home country outside Japan and only flight time/day confirmed within Japan.
So I understand non-Japanese person with student visa can book oneworld Yokoso, but must do this PRIOR to visit to Japan AND together with international legs of the flights.
Can Ujisan please be so kind and give us better information if above mentioned conditions are wrong understood by me. Sorry for causing such trouble.
by Peter rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/19 22:16
According to my understanding, the air passes are not available to residents of Japan.

But I guess that if you buy the pass 1) while still having your residence outside of Japan and 2) buy a round trip ticket to Japan, then you could buy an air pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Well... 2007/9/20 05:14
I'm glad I'm not the only one to be confused with these terms of use. Maybe I should phone OneWorld directly, or just try to book my tickets and see what happens !
I will let know about it. It could be helpfull for other people. Thanks again for your help.
by Marie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread