Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ATMs - do they have English writing 2007/9/18 18:42
Hi
Can someone please tell me whether the ATMs in Japan have english writing on the buttons, or any English button. I am wondering if I would know which button is the Cheq A/c button and which is the Savings a/c button!
by Nic  

post office atm 2007/9/19 08:07
I have used the atms in Post Offices in Tokyo and Kyoto. There is a button for English. However, there is no button for savings or checking. For the most part when using atms outside the US (where I live) there is no choice and it is wise to make sure you have enough in your checking account before you leave.....
by Mara rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/19 08:30
Yes they have english functions. Remember most international cards work with itnernational atms.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Even the domestic atms that don't work with International cards have an english function (eg if you have a japanese bank account).
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/19 08:32
Nic, in Japan they don't use checks, so there's no option for checking vs. savings. Usually it is default to savings (or checking if you don't have a savings) or your credit line if you are using a credit card.

Thanks for the help 2007/9/19 08:43
Mara and John - Thanks for the help regarding the ATM's. It was good to find out that we don't need to look for the account option button and we will know which accounts to top up before we leave. Thanks again!!
by Nic rate this post as useful

ATMs 2007/9/19 09:05
Most ATMs are actually touch screen. As above, no savings or checking, just "Deposit" and "Withdrawal". Many of them will also talk to you out loud in English, starting with "Welcome" when you push the "English" button.
by Sira rate this post as useful

ATM card 2007/9/19 09:11
John, I beg to differ with you. In my experience with a US bank ATM card (not debit) which is linked to several accounts in the bank that I use here in New York, whenever I used my ATM card in different parts of Europe and in Japan, it always took the funds from my checking account......
by Mara rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/19 09:25
I'm sorry but what do you differ in what I said?

Usually the card will get charged to the Primary account on the card. My bank of america card is linked to a checking and savings, it usually defaults to my primary account which is the checking account.

I was saying there is no option to choose, and it usually defaults to the primary one.

. 2007/9/19 09:26
I get it, I didn't word it correctly the first time, whatever the primary account it is set to is what is what is withdrawn.

ATMs 2007/9/19 14:40
in Kansai aiport, a couple of years ago, our ATM card kept being rejected. then we noticed that we were supposed to enter 3 or 4 etc. then click on a touch lower down that said 10 000 Yen. silly us we were asking for 30 000 notes of 10 000 each!. so read carefuly first. I know that last year I went in, dialed this and that and got what I wanted without really thinking, the way I do at home.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread