Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Free & Easy Travel to Tokyo and Sapporo 2007/9/19 03:37
Hi,
I'm from Singapore and is planning a F and E trip to Tokyo and Sapporo in Feb 07. I got a few questions here and hope the nice people here can give me some useful advice. Here are the questions

1) How many months or weeks in advance is advisable to book for air tickets and accomodation?

2) How many months in advance will the airlines release their flight details (international and domestic flight)?

3) If there a bullet train from tokyo to Sapporo? What is the approximate time required to reach there?

4) Any travel advice from getting to and from the airport to the city areas (both tokyo and sapporo)?

Hope to see replies from the kind souls here soon. Thanks in advance

by Glenn  

. 2007/9/20 02:15

1) How many months or weeks in advance is advisable to book for air tickets and accomodation?

Depends on time of year. February is not too bad, however there's a Sapporo Snow festival in Sapporo in February I think so it might be best to book early sometimes.

2) How many months in advance will the airlines release their flight details (international and domestic flight)?

Most international airlines allow you to book up to 1 year in advance. In Japan for the Sapporo-Tokyo route, discount tickets are released usually 30days out.

3) If there a bullet train from tokyo to Sapporo? What is the approximate time required to reach there?

No direct bullet train, it takes about 2 transfers and about 10hrs of traveling:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5306.html
Fastest option is to fly.

4) Any travel advice from getting to and from the airport to the city areas (both tokyo and sapporo)?

Sapporo airport transport is covered here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5306.html
Basically a train.

And Narita Airport to Tokyo has lots of options covered here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html
by John rate this post as useful

Singaporean here :) 2007/9/20 09:32
My advice as a singaporean, air tickets are always easy to get except during June and December (i'm sure you know why), but even during these periods you still should be able to book tickets just a month before departure.

I suggest make reservations for accomdations 1st, as i usually have more trouble with this than the plane tickets.

northwest has one of the cheapest fares to tokyo from singapore, the lowest i have paid is S$550 with taxes. just keep an eye out for their promos.
Domestic flights can be easily booked via ana's direct website or at the JTB office in takashimaya.
by Amelia rate this post as useful

Narita to Tokyo 2007/9/20 09:35
The cheapest option would be to take the Keisei Limited Express to Nippori Stn and change to Yamanote line.
The next cheaper option (but more expensive than the 1st one) is to take the KEisei skyliner to Nippori Stn and change to the Yamanote line.

The fastest but most expensive train option is to take the Narita Express (also known as N'Ex) which stops as quite a few locations.

If you have plenty of luggage, you can consider taking the airport limousine bus to the nearest hotel (or if you are lucky your hotel of choice), the listing should be in the airport limousine website provide in the links that john has given :)
by Amelia rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/20 09:49
Ameilia I refer the OP to the link Japan-guide covers for all the options into Tokyo.

Many times people fail to mention the Suica & Nex package from Narita Airport, and if one analyzed and researched it, it actually can be one of the best deals available from Narita Airport. I would fit it between the Keisei Limited Express and Skyliner coming from Narita Airport, especially if one didn't already have a Suica card and plan to use one in Tokyo. But again review the japan-guide link and make an appropriate decision.
by John rate this post as useful

JR pass 2007/9/22 16:28
Hi Glenn. I'm also from Singapore. Been to Japan free & easy many times. Feb should not be difficult time to get air tickets unless it is near CNY. Depending on how long you intend to stay and your itinerary, it may be worthwhile purchasing a JR Pass for train rates. The Pass covers the Narita Express from airport into Tokyo. You can buy it from JTB in Takashimaya L4. They also sell some room packages at good rates - compare with internet rate before you purchase. Tokyo to Sapporo - better to fly. ANA has some packages that are valid only if purchased in Singapore. One of these is the Star Alliance pass. Another piece of advice - do your research before you leave. This website contains information that I found very useful.
by Geoffrey rate this post as useful

reply to this thread