Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving in Shirakawago in Early Dec. 2007/9/20 23:48
Hi,

My hubby and I had driven in Japan before and we love driving there. How long does it take to drive from Gifu city to Shirakawago or Takayama?
Is it possible to drive there in Early Dec?
Thanks
by Cyn  

driving to Shirakawago 2007/9/21 06:52
I'm not sure how long the drive would be from Gifu to Shirakawago...maybe three hours? We drove from Gujo-hachiman to Shirakawago in 1 and 1/2 hours last summer...the Tokai-Hokuriku expressway is nice, and even if there's snow it should be fine. It's only the last bit, when you have to take a local road, that can be a little scary in snow.
The first time I went to Shirakawago it was Dec 21st and they had just had a huge snowfall; we couldn't get up to the viewpoint. Rte 156, leading to Shirakawago from the expressway, had packed snow in the shadows of the road. We drove 158 to Takayama the next day and found it to be the same - fairly clear, but patches of packed snow where sun did not reach the road. It all depends on how early they get a good dump of snow. I'd guess that early December would be okay.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Thank you 2007/9/25 23:40
Thanks for the detailed info.
by cyn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread