Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Intinerary Advice - Tokyo & Takayama 2007/9/21 06:25
Please advise below:

Day 1 - Arrival in Tokyo
Day 2 - Ueno, Asaskusa, Aikhabara
Day 3 & 4 - Disneyland
Day 5 - Odaiba
Day 6 - Daytrip to Yokohama or Kawagoe??
Day 7 - To Oku-Hida Onsen Village (to see Hirayu Waterfall Illumination)
(i) go by bus or JR pass? if by bus, will there be space for 1x29" hardcase luggage + 1x21" hardcase + 1 backpacker's haversack
(ii) if we send luggage by delivery, is it better to send to Oku-Hida or Takayama where we will be going the next day?
(iii) any info on the winter illumination?
Day 8 - Takayama
Day 9 - Takayama
Day 10 - Shirakawago
Day 11 - Takayama
Day 12 - Nagoya
Day 13 - Bye bye Japan :(

Appreciate all advices & suggestions :) Thanksss!!
by Francis  

... 2007/9/23 10:27
Daytrip to Yokohama or Kawagoe??

I recommend Yokohama over Kawagoe.

(i) go by bus or JR pass?

A Japan Rail Pass does not pay off for your itinerary. I would take the direct bus or take the train to Matsumoto and transfer to the bus there.

if by bus, will there be space for 1x29" hardcase luggage + 1x21" hardcase + 1 backpacker's haversack

At one point you will have to use the bus in any case.

Most buses have a limit of two pieces of luggage per person: one small bag to bring into the bus and an additional piece to put into the luggage room.

if we send luggage by delivery, is it better to send to Oku-Hida or Takayama where we will be going the next day?

Then I would rather send it to Takayama directly, because you have to ride another bus from Hirayu to Takayama.

(iii) any info on the winter illumination?

It is lit up from February 15-25, from 18:00 to 21:00.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank U, Uji!!! 2007/9/25 09:04
Thanks Uji for the advice. May we know why you prefer Yokohama? Is it because of any must go places in Yokohama? What are they?

Cheers!
by Francis rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/25 10:53
I find that there are more worthwhile attractions in Yokohama than in Kawagoe, especially if you like modern cities, shopping and dining.

If you are more into history, Kawagoe might be the more interesting destination, though.

About Yokohama:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2156.html

About Kawagoe:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6500.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

'Seishun 18 Kippu' 2007/9/25 12:50
Hi Uji,

Thanks again! Think you are right. Especially since Kawagoe looks similar to Takayama Town which we will be spending 2 days there.

By the way, found a 'Seishun 18 Kippu' pass, would this pass be
useful for my initerary for use in Tokyo (Disney, Odaiba, Shinjuku) & daytrip to Yokohama & another daytrip to Himeji?

Shin Hotaka Cable Car Discount? 2007/9/25 13:41
Found this page on the website of Shin Hotaka Cable Car.

http://www.okuhi.jp/Rop/Valueticket2007.html

Looks like some value-saving package but I can't read Japanese. Can someone help?

From the little that I can gather, looks like it includes (1) bus trip from Takayama to Shin Hotaka
(2) cable car 2-way
(3) day use onsen

Am I correct? Also is the bus trip two way or one way? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Buses to Takayama, Shirakawago & Nagoya 2007/9/25 13:44
How far in advance should we book the buses? We need to book for
(1) Shinjuku-Takayama (1-way)
(2) Takayama-Shirakawago (2-way)
(3) Takayama-Nagoya (1-way)

We are coming in Dec for 2 weeks and travelling out to the above in our 2nd week. Would it be risky to book only when we reached Tokyo? Are there ticketing booths in Narita Airport to do the reservations?
If we reserve over phone, how soon can we collect the tickets?

Thanks for all advice.

reply to this thread