Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is the Japanese Conductor Routine? 2007/9/24 05:33
I was in Japan a while ago, and this has been bugging me ever since I came back. I don't speak much Japanese.

I noticed that Japanese train conductors are very, very serious and particulate. When he starts his shift I heard he must lay down certain items 30 minutes prior to the beginning of his shift, and must lay them down in a certain order, in a certain place on the table (watch, handle, schedule etc). I never saw this but my friend told me that's how they start.

When they get to the train, they point to the front and say something, then they point to the side and from what I heard, they say the same thing. Then they put their watch in the dedicated panel on the control board. Before departing any station they repeat the same words as they point forward.

I travelled by myself (I was only 15, too, what an experience!) and as I said, I speak very little Japanese. I am going back to Japan soon and before then I want to brush up on my Japanese, but first:

My questions are:

1) What do they say in Japanese (both when outside and inside the cabin), and what does it mean in English?

2) What is the full routine of a train conductor?

3) What is the Japanese word for train conductor?
by David G.  

Checking 2007/9/24 10:18
David,

The "point-and-say" safety check procedure used by railway staff is also widely used in a wide range of industries in Japan. Basically, they have to physically point to the items they have to check, similar to the way airline pilots say "XYZ, check!" during their pre-flight checks.

The Japanese for conductor is 車掌 (shashou).
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/24 10:27
Depending on train companies and how they setup their operations.

The items you described are more of the train driver/operator/engineer (depending on your terminology) job. They do hand signals and say things aloud to make sure things are done correctly. It is for safety, and there is a routine drivers go through. Sometimes if there is too much pressure or if someone is not experienced enough accidents can happen, so its good not to become complacent in the job.

Train conductors on the other hand are usually in charge of safety and security of the passenger cabin, making sure doors are closed and clear (along with platform conductors), checking tickets, answering questions from passengers, making sure the train is in safe operating function (along with the train driver), conductors roles vary and are also important to train operations.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks, cleared up a little! 2007/9/24 11:19
That clears things up. I understand that a train operator's job is not to be taken lightly. I did in fact confuse the term conductor for operator.

From what I understand, even in a game of Japanese chess, one must pay careful attention to the order of placement of his pieces on the board before the game commences. This care and consideration for neatness and etiquette is probably what makes Japanese culture so intense.

I am still particularly interested in what they say. I did not travel on any lines other than the Yamanote and Tokyu-Ikegami lines. I cannot remember exactly, but I am a little certain that when departing from any station, the driver mentioned the same words as they pointed forward, just before they accelerated off. It is announced only in his cabin as if it is only for him to hear.

Are they any ideas on what he could be saying?

I keep thinking it must be something like ''Everything's OK, Let's go!'' or ''All aboard!'' but for some strange urge, I really want to know what they are saying (in both Japanese and English).
by Dave G. rate this post as useful

Hai, shinkou 2007/9/24 20:57
What I usually hear on the subways as the driver moves the train forward is "Hai, shinkou", which means "Ok, proceed". Not sure about the guy at the back, if that's who you mean by the conductor, as I have never really listened to him.

by Sira rate this post as useful

That rings a bell! 2007/9/25 07:50
Yes, that definitely rings a bell:

はい 進行!

Are there any other things that they say, besides 次は, and 終点?
by Dave G. rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/25 07:56
There are many things he might be saying depending on the circumstances, the train company, and how they setup their staffs and trains.

He might be announcing if the train is a local, rapid, express etc, or if a train becomes a local to an express, he might announce the next station (or list of stations on the route) and transfers one can do at the next station. If there is a delay he will announce the delay. He will be calling out signals as he sees them.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread