Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7days Tokyo Itinerary suggestions 2007/9/26 12:43
Hi,
I have 7 full days in Tokyo in Early december.

Some of the places I'm planning to go to:
Disneyland
Disneysea
Ghibli Museum
Hakone
Shinjuku
Shibuya
Harajuku
Asakusa
Odaiba
Akihabara
Ikebukuro (my hotel)
Tsukiji Fish Market
Kawagoe
Meiji Shrine
Mount Takao

Is this too much? How can I best arrange the itinerary? Thanks very much
by sgnick  

Tokyo 2007/9/26 14:12
have a look at a map of Tokyo on the internet or a guidebook. the Yamanote Loop line goes to many of the places you want to see in Tokyo
from Ikebukuro the loop line goes to Shinjuku then
Harajuku (the Meiji Shrine is there too) then Shibuya. You can spend 2 hrs in each of these areas or several days..going the other way on the loop line (from Ikebukuro) you can go all the way to Akihabara one morning then go back to the Yamanote and stop at Ueno then take the subway, or walk, to Asakusa (visiting Asakusa, including quaint side streets takes a good 2hrs). from there you can take a boat to Odaiba (count on 3-4 hrs for the boat trip plus Odaiba). from Odaiba take the Yurikamome automated guided transit (this is not a monorail) to Shimbashi station on the loop line and stop at Yurakucho to see Ginza in the evening. .
from Ikebukuro take the loop line to Shinjuku (very early!) then the Ginza subway line to Tsukiji Fish Market.

You will find dozen of posts about Disneyland on this site.
I can't help you about anything Disney as I find the idea of going there repulsive, especially considering all that Japan has to offer.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/9/26 18:25
Thanks Sensei 2.

Very detailed explanation of travel plan within tokyo, just what i needed.

Is Mt Takao experience similar to Hakone region? Meaning if I visit Hakone, I can give Takao a miss? I am interested to see the autumn foilage.

Also, in tokyo, is there any area that we should avoid staying in due to crime or vice? Is Ikebukuro ok place to stay?
by sgnick rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2007/9/27 03:18
I am afraid that I don't know much about Hakone etc. I am not really a nature boy. My tastes run more to very busy shopping streets, underground malls, huge department stores, shrines and museums etc. That said I enjoyed the Meiji shrine park very much, especially the walk by the pond (this is what I call "wild nature"). I am not in love with Ikebukuro and prefer Ueno but others have the opposite opinion. Compared to Paris' Pigalle and London's Soho I didn't see any obvious naughty bits but then I can't read the signs..Both East Shinjuku and Ikebukuro are extremely crowded in the evening ( think several hundred thousands people in a relatively small area) and do feel a tiny bit raunchy--especially if your home town is small-- but your hotel may be on a quiet side street. Tokyo is very safe compared to other big famous cities. That doesn't mean that you can carry a wallet full of money in your pants pockets in the middle of a crowd at 11 pm. or argue with a couple of drunks that are twice your size or agree to go to the home of a total stranger you bumped into 1 minutes ago for a drink!!.
I am a man way way over 40 and always feel very safe in Japan.

by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/27 08:56
Is Mt Takao experience similar to Hakone region?

Takaosan is just a mountain while Hakone is a whole mountainous region with a lake and hot springs. Both offer nature. So, in that way, they offer a similar experience.

I am interested to see the autumn foilage.

I am afraid, unless it is a very slow year, you are likely not to encounter much autumn colors at either Takaosan or in Hakone in early December.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/27 09:00
If you like to just hike I've been up Takao twice, its a nice area, however the only other entertaining thing in the area is a trick art museum near the train station.

Hakone on the other hand I think gives a nicer experience if you are looking to spend 1 or more days. As mentioned with the lake, cable cars, ropeway, hot springs, museums etc etc.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/27 09:31
As John said, Takao is a nice day trip from Tokyo. The hiking is pretty leisurely and there is a monkey park near the top.

The best part is that one of my favorite restaurants is in the area. It's called Ukai Toriyama. I checked it out after the NYTimes did a piece on them last year.

Here's their website if you're interested:
http://www.ukai.co.jp/toriyama/

Personally as a tourist I would go to Hakone over Takao. They're not exactly the same kind of thing (put roughly: day hiking vs. onsen/nature/history). Again as John mentioned, Hakone offers more to the traveller.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thank you 2007/9/27 11:39
Many thanks to yllwsmrf, John, Uji and Sensei 2 for the advice =)

I can now plan my trip and make better use of the time I have
by sgnick rate this post as useful

reply to this thread