Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

quality of Japanese lessons in Korean 2007/9/28 20:15
I've been studying Japanese for two years now and now I'm going on exchange. At first I was going to Japan but since there are a lot of problems with the amount of places, it seems I won't be going to Japan. Instead I'm going to Korea, at least I'm not sure if I want to go. First of all, is there anyone who can tell me some more about the University of Seoul: Business School? If I decide to go there I'm going to study the Japanese language and culture but I would like to know some more about that. If I don't go I will have a study delay of like 6 months. How is the quality of the Japanese lessons? I know this school has some relations with Waseda University in Tokyo but I can't seem to find any information about the quality or level of the Japanese lessons.

I hope someone can give me some answers.

Thanks
by takumi83  

. 2007/9/29 08:58
I'm confused about why you want to go to Korea to study Japanese? Because of the amount of places in Japan? I'm not sure what that means.

It would be like going to Spain to study French.
by John rate this post as useful

;;; 2007/9/29 12:37
Univeristy of Seoul is such a good school but tough to get into to!! My unnie graduated from there! I'm Zainichi Korean btw. But really, I don't understand what you're asking. I understand English perfectly, but could you explain it a bit more, I could try my best to help you with both a Japanese & Korean aspect.
by Yae-Ri (Akutagawa) rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/29 18:19
Seoul University is indeed a prestigious university but I am also confused to hear why you are even considering to go to Korea to learn Japanese. In my opinion, learning/mastering a language is not done by a classroom study. Instead, having a contact with local people or simply watching local TV or walking streets give you more. Korea and Japan seem similar to westerners' eye but they are totally different. And as long as you are in Korea, you can not have a direct contact with Japanese (except some tourists/students).
If you have only to wait 6 months to come to Japan, I strongly recommend you to wait and you will be well-prepared for starting a new life.
by JLady rate this post as useful

RE: quality of Japanese lessons in Korea 2007/10/1 01:05
First of all thanks for the answers and sorry it took me a while to response.

John: Exactly, that's why I'm not sure if I should go. It seems someone else has to go instead of me, because he didn't go last year, so he's first in the line, which means I'll have to wait for 6 months or go to Korea as an alternative to learn Japanese over there.

@Yae-Ri: What I meant to say was that Korea is like an alternative. My first choice is Japan but since there's someone who suddenly took my place, I can't go to Japan. So instead of Japan they send me to Korea, to study Japanese over there. But I was wondering what the Japanese lessons are like over there. Since that university has a relationship with Waseda in Tokyo I thought it might be good but I'm not sure.

@jlady: You're right about that, learning a language can't be done in a classroom. I've been to Japan before, just for two weeks but I noticed the difference right away. Since that university is connected with Waseda in Tokyo I thought it might be good but still as soon as I walk out of there everyone is going to speak either Korean or English.

Hm I think your advice would be better, waiting for like 6 months instead of going to Korea. Still I'm going to try to visit Japan sooner since my school made mistakes with all the places. At first 5 or 6 people could go but in the end their promise was nothing but a lie. It seems they messed things up so they're sending people to other universities to study Japanese.
by takumi83 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread