Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

"Premium" banking for foreigners? 2007/9/30 06:25
Hello,

I'm probably going to be moving to Tokyo early next year, and one of the things that was worrying me was having access to flexible financial services.

I currently live in the UK where I have - through one bank - a bank account with linked deferred-debit charge card and a credit card (all through the same bank); it is also very easy for me to do international money transfers, foreign exchange and so on. I can manage my account via internet banking or with my personal banking manager in person etc.

Are there similar options available in Japan, particularly for non-Japanese speakers?

If it is relevant, I will be on a three-year (inital) secondment from the UK with my employer - a large investment bank - and my expected yearly compensation is in the 17-20 million yen range at the moment.

I am investigating with my employer whether they can assist with introductions to banks in Japan, but I thought this would be a good place to ask! My internet searches haven't turned up very much that was useful.

Thanks in advance,

Nick.
by Nick W  

. 2007/9/30 09:32
There is CitiBank Japan and Shinsei Bank which are both foreigner friendly, and offer online banking and assistance in english.
They don't offer debit/credit cards easily to foreigners who are just there, its even hard for people who have been there for a while to get a credit card from a Japanese bank, though more luck from a instore/department store card.
by John rate this post as useful

banks 2007/9/30 18:05
Check out www.shinseibank.com and see if that is what you are looking for. (Select "English" from the top right hand corner.)
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread