Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do you address this envelope? 2007/10/1 02:27
ok, I plan to write a message to the square-enix corporation about their decsion on final fantasy VII and I don't want to be ignorate to other people's customs so I realized that addressing an envelope to someone in american isn't nessecarily the same as addressing an envelope to someone in another place. If anyone could help me, how would I address an envelope sent to Tokyo Japan with this address:

SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
Shinjuku Bunka Quint Bldg.
3-22-7 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku,
Tokyo 151-8544, Japan.

In addition, I'm not too sure who to mail it to and the only person whose name is there is the president's, Yoichi Wada, and I know in America, you'd put the person's name first and such but again, I have no idea how to address an envelope in Japan. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thnx mucho!
by Addressing an envelope  

. 2007/10/1 06:54
I don't see anything wrong with addressing the envelope that way.

Using the western format is fine, with given name first, and family name last.

It is fine.

Of course in reality, it is highly unlikely the the company president would read such a letter, it would have to be interpreted first by someone lower in the company and probably forwarded to another section in the company in charge of the game development and then probably to another section in the company.
by John rate this post as useful

address 2007/10/1 12:34
It is perfectly acceptable to send an envelope addressed in English to Japan or even within Japan. They way you have it in your post is the standard format which Japan Post prefers- just copy that straight onto the envelope.
by Sira rate this post as useful

hmm... 2007/10/2 19:21
Ok, but if I do send it to the president and he forwards it to gaming design or such, because his name is the only name I see, it will eventually get to the place it belongs and someone who should read it will read it correct? And assuming they do respond, how long would that take?
by hmm... rate this post as useful

??? 2007/10/2 21:01
We can't possibly tell you about the internal operations of a company we don't know anything about- I don't think there are any set rules in Japan for this kind of thing! They might reply the same day, they might reply two weeks later- how could we know what the time frame would be?
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/5 06:17
My friend in Japan has sent me her address in english and I'm wondering whether it's acceptable to actually address the letter in english. Or should I ask my Japanese teacher to help me translate it into Kanji? You do use kanji for addresses?
by Brian rate this post as useful

Address 2007/11/5 07:24
Brian,

English (romanized Japanese) is fine and preferred unless you are really sure you know how to write the address in Japanese.
Also note that when posting from some countries, the address must be written in English anyway.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2224.html
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread