Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

expiry of 7-day jr rail pass 2007/10/1 07:26
if I activate my 7-day jr rail pass 11pm on saturday.
Does it mean I can use the rail pass until 11pm friday?
Thank for your help,
by hung nguyen  

... 2007/10/1 07:43
No, it is based on calendar days. If you start using it on Friday, you can use it until the end of Thursday.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/1 07:47
It is based on Calendar days so, if you started it on a Saturday at 23:00 (11:00pm) the pass would normally expire at 23:59:59 (11:53:53 pm) Friday.

I think If you were on a local train or a urban train in the city I think the staff will let you go until it shuts down a little after midnight. Eg. you got on a Yamanote Line train at 23:50 and got off at 00:10 at another stop. But I'm not exactly sure on that.

by John rate this post as useful

expiry of 7 day jr rail pass 2007/10/1 07:53
Thanks for the informations. I find it useful too as I am in the process of getting a jr rail pass.
by noon dalton rate this post as useful

Please clarify... 2007/10/8 00:34
Let's say I get a 7 day JR Pass and I activate it on 28Jan(Mon) and it'll expire on 3Feb(Sun) at 2359. If I want to get to Narita Ap from Hakodate Stn

According to Jorudan timetable:
If I take train from Hakodate Stn on 3Feb(Sun) at 1651 I'll reach Narita Ap at 0630 4Feb(Mon).
Stn: Hakodate-Hachinohe-Tokyo-Narita Ap
Time: 1651-1949, 1958-2308, 0504-0630
So my question now is, between 2308-0504 am I suppose to stay and wait inside Tokyo Stn or do I have to get a night stay in hotel? And does this mean that the train from 0504-0630 will not be covered by the pass?

Thanks in advance for answering to my queries.
by fang rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/8 10:04
The rule for the Japan Rail Pass is as follows:

If you are on board of a train at midnight when the pass expires, then you can continue riding the train for free until you get off. The pass will continue to cover the base fare (but not the express supplements) of eventual subsequent train rides until you go pass the ticket gates of a station.

So my question now is, between 2308-0504 am I suppose to stay and wait inside Tokyo Stn or do I have to get a night stay in hotel? And does this mean that the train from 0504-0630 will not be covered by the pass?

In theory, if you do not leave Tokyo Station between 2308 and 0504 (i.e. do not pass the ticket gates), the base fare of your NEX ride to the airport would still be covered by the Japan Rail Pass, but the express supplement (about 1700 Yen) will not. In order to avoid to pay the supplement, you could ride the JR Sobu Line to the airport.

But in praxis, I believe that it is not possible to spend the night in the paid-fare zone of Tokyo Station.

more questions... 2007/10/8 17:35
Thank you Uji for answering my question.

1) Sorry, but I'm confused with the express supplement fee now. So does it mean this fee will be charge when riding the Rapid Airport Narita JR train regardless of whether I hold a JR Pass, or do you refer to having to pay the express supplement under the assumption that the JR Pass had expired? Cos I remembered reading about no additional payment for seat reservation when using a JR Pass, but what is this express supplement charge it's not inside the JR Pass brochure? Sob sob... T_T

2) Hmm... Let's say if I had to get a night stay in Tokyo then proceed to catch my flight at 1045 on 4Feb. Is there any pass to use which could get me to Narita Ap cheaply, the next morning? Or are individual tickets less costly?

3) Or do you think I could use my JR Pass to get to Narita Ap on the 3Feb night and stay there overnight till time to board my flight? Are there sleeping areas in Narita Ap or 24hr lobby or something? Cos I'm on a rather tight budget... so if possible I want to cut down on unnecessary expenses.

Thank you.

... 2007/10/8 17:54
So does it mean this fee will be charge when riding the Rapid Airport Narita JR train regardless of whether I hold a JR Pass, or do you refer to having to pay the express supplement under the assumption that the JR Pass had expired?

I referred to having to pay the express supplement under the assumption that the JR Pass had expired and you transfer trains after midnight.

During the period of validity, the Japan Rail Pass covers all fees of train travel, including the limited express fee and seat reservation.

Is there any pass to use which could get me to Narita Ap cheaply, the next morning? Or are individual tickets less costly?

The trip to the airport from Ueno to the airport by Keisei Limited Express takes only 1000 Yen. It is the cheapest way to get to the airport:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html

Thank you 2007/10/9 02:40
Thank you for answering my question. You're so helpful! Now I get a better idea of how the JR pass works.

Sorry to bother with yet some other questions.

1) May I know where I can buy Tokyo Metro Open Ticket other than Narita Ap? Cos the Tokyo Metro Website states that it can only be bought at Narita Ap. But I'm getting open-jaw ticket flying in to Kansai Ap and departing from Narita Ap.

2) And also about JR West Pass, can I buy it in japan even though I'm on a temporary visit of 90days and not 15days? Cos in their website they stated that

The purchaser must have a passport issued by a government, etc., other than the country of Japan, and have resident status corresponding to a "short-term stay" (maximum stay of 15 days). Persons from countries such as the United States who are not required to have a visa to visit Japan (see Attachment 1) are eligible to purchase a Rail Pass even if staying in Japan for up to 90 days."

But no matter how I look, I can't find the Attachment 1 in the JR West website. So I went to check the MOFA of Japan for visas guide, and my country have visa exemption arrangements with Japan of 3 months or less. Does this make me eligible for the JR West Pass? Can someone please enlighten me. Thank you so much.

... 2007/10/9 07:23
May I know where I can buy Tokyo Metro Open Ticket other than Narita Ap?

The discounted ones are available at the airport and through travel agents outside the Greater Tokyo area. But the regular ones are available across Tokyo at Tokyo Metro stations and are only slightly more expensive than the discounted ones:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

And also about JR West Pass, can I buy it in japan even though I'm on a temporary visit of 90days and not 15days?

Yes, you can use it as "temporary visitor", regardless of the period of stay (15 or 90 days).

Where to buy? 2007/10/9 11:29
Thanks again for providing me with the answers. Now I have a few questions concerning the buying of Tokyo Metro Open Ticket.

If I'm purchasing at Tokyo Metro stn, where do I pay for it? Is it at vending machines or at manned-counters? And you mentioned
The discounted ones are available through travel agents outside the Greater Tokyo area.
Where can I find these travel agents?

Thank you very much for your help.

reply to this thread