Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does the green car = more luggage room 2007/10/1 15:08
As it would save money instead of paying at that place to ship your luggage.

As I am want to go for about 3 weeks and I want to go as many places as I can.

I will have about 2 big suitcases. Well one will be empty in the beginning.

However when I start shopping, then it will start to get full
by Abhi  

Luggage space 2007/10/1 19:10
I'm just back from my trip in Japan and I had little trouble with storing my luggage in the trains and shinkansen. Only the Hikari between Tokyo and Osaka have little space but you can still store your suitcases behind the seats in the back row provided you don't block the people sitting in those seats from reclining their seats and that you inform the conductor that you put your suitcases there.

PS: Two suitcases for 3 weeks is quite a lot of luggage, IMO. A lot of hotels have coin laundries and you might want to try to travel light. It'll make your trip so much easier if you don't have to carry around so much luggage.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Oops 2007/10/1 19:12
I just read about one suitcase being empty to start with :-)

It would help if the administrator of this forum could display the text of the original post when replying (or for the person to reply to read carefully, of course :-))
by Kappa rate this post as useful

luggage 2007/10/1 19:53
I have travelled for 6 months with just one large backpack and a smaller one, and I did plenty of shopping too- do you really want to carry those suitcases up all the steps in the stations that don't have lifts or escalators?

3 weeks is not a long time- you will be able to do laundry while here.
by Sira rate this post as useful

luggage 2007/10/1 22:14
yeah but I could dtart buying a lot of stuff.

As when I went to America, I started to buy quite a few things.
Just thinking that I never know, also you mentioned lockers.

Erm when can't Ijust leave my suitcases in my room, when do I have to rent ?
by Abhi rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/1 22:52
You might want to consider luggage forwarding service as an alternative.

Green cars does not equal more luggage room, the luggage space is almost essentially the same as an ordinary cars. The only variable is how the seats are and arranged, rather then storage space.
by John rate this post as useful

yes, but 2007/10/1 23:49
Correct. However we found that the green cars seemed (in our experience at least) to be less crowded, and therefore there was more chance to FIND room behind the rear seats. And there's a bit more room in the aisles in green cars (but not much). Whether this justifies the extra cost is an individual decision.
Most major train stations do have escalators or elevators, so unless you're visiting smaller stations that shouldn't be too much of a problem, although two large suitcases would be clumsy at best.
Also, be sure to line up at the train door you'll be using early. This might give you a better chance for luggage space. And remember when getting off that the train will leave exactly on time!
by Tay rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/2 00:38
And there's a bit more room in the aisles in green cars (but not much).

For safety and security reasons you can't leave your luggage or block the aisles so this should not be a factor.

Factor in the extra costs of a green car vs. forwarding luggage, forwarding luggage probably comes out cheaper.
by John rate this post as useful

luggage 2007/10/2 02:51
I thought I read they have have a restriction on the dimesions of the luggage as one case is kinda large ?
by Abhi rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/3 14:35
The restriction is two pieces of luggage per person. Each piece of luggage can measure up to 250 cm if you add up the three dimensions of your lugagge, but it may not be longer than 200 cm. Each piece of luggage must not weight more than 30 kg. These restrictions are not strictly enforced.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread