Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Formal letter from my japanese penpal. 2007/10/2 10:42
Hello,

I'm european male and have a japanese male penpal since almost one year.

We are doing postal exchange and have cultural talks on the net.
I think that we both agree talking with the other because we have a good cultural knowledge of our country.

The last time we have shared some products by postal mail, he has sent me a very formal letter that has surprised me.
I will not describe his letter, but it was a kind of thanks for being his friend, because in japan he is seen as a "strange guy" (I don't think that he is otaku or something). He just have uncommon hobbies in japan, but not shocking for me.

Well, I would want to have your opinion about this letter. I was surprised about it. What does it means? Is it the proof of a real long time friendship?
I am the kind of guy that like to keep contact with friends, even after time of silence.

I was surprised to see a japanese explaining his friedship feelings like that.
by Flip  

... 2007/10/2 18:58
I think your penpal was/is simply, very, very happy to have a good steady penpal like yourself, that he wanted to write out feelings in postal mail to tell you that. Well, I can imagine he might have been too embarrassed to talk about his feelings on the net in contrast and say things directly like "thank you for being my friend"; with letters, you can take your time writing it out the way you want, and you know that it takes some time until it reaches the recipient, so there is less rush, and the ways feelings get expressed on paper and on the net are simply different.

I think it simply sounds like a good friendship that may well extend over a very long time :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Just out of curiosity 2007/10/3 04:51
Hi,

Just out of curiosity, what language do you write your letters in? All of my penpals around the world have all spoken English as a first language. I have wanted to get a penpal who speaks a different language so that I can help him learn and he can help me.

Does it work like that?
by Dave G rate this post as useful

language 2007/10/3 05:13
Hello,

First, I must say that we usually use internet to talk. Then, we use snail mail to share local products.Not that much messages in the parcel. But usually I write in english+translation in french (because he is learning). He writes me in english+french+japanese.

We have the habit to say the same thing in several languages to have a learning tool with translations and to have the fun to read a message written in a foreign cryptic language ;-)
by Flip rate this post as useful

reply to this thread