Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama New Year questions 2007/10/3 03:59
If anyone would be so kind:

We're going to be in/around Takayama over New Year. We plan to spend New Year's Eve either in a ryokan in Takayama itself, or in a gassho-zukuri house around Shirakawa-go. I think that both options will be great fun, but could anyone please tell me:

1) If we're in a village, is it likely that there will be anything happening on New Year's Eve? If it was possible that we might get drawn into a family party, that would be fantastic. But if New Year's Eve is a time when families are together, is it likely to be better to have NYE in Takayama?

2) If we're in Shirakawa on NYE, will buses be running to Takayama on New Year's Day?

3) Will museums and the old houses in Takayama be open on New Year's Day?

If anyone could answer just one of those questions, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.
by Winter Visitor  

... 2007/10/3 15:59
The Hida no Sato is open everyday. The Takayama Jinya is closed on December 29 and 31 and January 1. I suspect that most other sights are also closed on one or a few days over New Year.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks Uji 2007/10/3 17:58
Thank you for your answer.

Could you tell me please will trains and buses between cities (e.g. Nagoya to Takayama) be running a normal service over the New Year period? (I know that if they are running I should expect them to be busy).

Thanks
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/6 11:02
Could you tell me please will trains and buses between cities (e.g. Nagoya to Takayama) be running a normal service over the New Year period?

There might be some additional services on busy days. Apart from that, they will be running normally. The trains may be crowded on December 29 and maybe 30 in direction of Takayama and around January 3-6 in the opposite direction, but I don't think they will be overly crowded on most other days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread