Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan xmas and new year itinerary help! 2007/10/6 21:11
I've always found this a great place for advice so hoped I might get some for my next Japan trip I'm planning over this xmas and New Year. I've been a few times before and want to try some new places as I've find myself going to old favourites time and time again and need to get out of this habit!

If anyone has suggestions how I can improve and add to my itinerary they would be appreciated:-)

This is what I have planned so far:
24 - 26th Dec Kyoto
27 - 28th not planned (somewhere between Kyoto and Tokyo? Not Fuji)
29 Dec - 2 Jan Tokyo
3 - 5th not planned (Nikko, Yokohama, Hokkaido possibilities)
6 - 7th Osaka

I could stay in Kyoto for a bit longer but if so would like to do a few day trips from there - any suggestions? Places I've been to and don't want to go back this time are: Hiroshima, Koya, Miyajima, Nara, Okayama.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for Tokyo at new year? I'm staying in Shibuya.

Thank you!
by Rachael L  

Takayama 2007/10/7 09:33
For 27-28, go to Takayama.

Since you will be travelling Kyoto - Tokyo, change at Nagoya and take the train to Takayama. Some parts of Takayama are like being transported back 100 years.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/10/8 07:33
I think I looked into going there before but ran out of time, so it's down on the list:-)
Is it a good time of year to go? I'm thinking about how cold it would be and if transport will be as regular?
by Rachael L rate this post as useful

Takayama 2007/10/8 08:09
It takes a bit over 3 hours Kyoto - Takayama, and bit over 3 hours Takayama - Tokyo.

You could leave Kyoto at 8:30am and be in Takayama by midday. Then leave the next day at 4:00pm, and be back in Tokyo by 8:30pm. Plenty of time....
by Sandy rate this post as useful

check Takayama 2007/10/9 04:10
a lot of the museums in Takayama will be closed from the 26th Dec (Mrs Winter Visitor spent a while checking this out after Uji kindly mentioned in another thread that things there might be closed. We're also visiting over Xmas and New Yr)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2007/10/25 06:37
Sorry I have not been able to reply to says thanks until now:-)
This is our revised plan:
Osaka
Hakone (1 night)
Tokyo
Nikko
Kyoto
Home:-(
This may change depending on when the ryokan in Hakone can fit us in, it's appears to be very popular but looks beautiful, I'm very excited about it! We may also visit Takayama if we can confirm if it's going to be worth it at that time of year.
Thanks again for all your suggestions.
by Rachael L rate this post as useful

reply to this thread