Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Big Bills in Japan 2007/10/7 01:34
I'm going to Japan with only cash. Are there recommended places I should go if I want to get change for my 10,000 yen bills? Or can I just use them anywhere?
by John  

... 2007/10/7 10:10
Banks and post offices will change large bills into smaller bills and coins, but most supermarkets, convenience stores and other shops will refuse to give change without you purchasing something.

If you want to get small change by buying something with a 10,000 Yen bill, any large store, chain store or store with lots of customers, e.g. large supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. will usually have little problems giving change on large bills.

Smaller stores might not be happy or able to give change on 10,000 Yen bills, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Ticket machines 2007/10/7 11:12
John,

Another method is to use 10,000 yen notes when you buy tickets from JR or subway ticket machines.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/10/7 13:00
ありがとう!!
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/8 14:28
correct me if I'm wrong but, when you return America, they won't accept your Japanese coins. So, make sure that you have bills, and not coins when you return.
by th rate this post as useful

Assuming... 2007/10/8 16:48
Assuming you are from the US where it can be a problem to pay with big bills, I can assure you that you can almost everywhere with 10,000 bills.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Yen 2007/10/10 05:28
You have nothing to worry about. You can go into any convenience store--Lawsons, Circle K, 7/11 or others and buy a 50 yen item with a 10,000 yen bill and no one will blink an eye. I've done it many, many times.
by Happee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread