Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taking pictures 2007/10/7 16:09
I am planning to go to Japan in April, alone.

I will take a lot of pictures, and of course I would like to be in some of them.

The question I have, would it be wise to ask someone to take a picture of me? Is there a good chance someone would run off with my camera, or are people generally trustworthy?

Thanks.
by Nathan  

Photo taking 2007/10/7 18:20
Nathan,

It is very common in Japan to ask other people to take a photo for you. I have never heard of anyone having their camera pinched like this, but if it is something you are worried about, maybe you should only ask old people who can't run very fast. ;-)
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/8 08:18
When we Japanese travel abroad, we are encouraged not to let anyone touch our cameras as they might run off with it.

But when traveling abroad, I have handed out my camera numerous times (of course on my own risk) and I always got it back.

Criminals are everywhere. You never know if they're trying to get your camera or not, but I often enjoy taking the risk to experience some kindness in return.
by Uco rate this post as useful

.. 2007/10/8 10:55
I dont know if I should have made a new topic for this, but how can I say "Can you please take a picture of me?"

Or anything along the lines of that.

Thanks for the help!
by Nathan rate this post as useful

"Can you?""May I?" 2007/10/8 23:19
"Can you please take a picture of me?"

Nathan, you can either say,
"Shattah oshite kure masuka?(Could you please press the button?)"
or simply smile and point at the button as you hand out the camera and say something in any language, which is what I usually do when traveling abroad.

Btw, when I want to take photos of someone else, I gesture myself trying to press the button and ask, "Okay?"
by Uco rate this post as useful

Taking pictures 2007/10/9 07:36
Look out for fellow tourists with cameras. They will know without much difficulty what you are asking.
by Tony Q rate this post as useful

reply to this thread