Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokaido Shinkansen during end of year 2007/10/7 19:25
Hi, I'm planning to travel to Japan during the end of this year. I would enter Japan through Kansai Airport on the 24 Dec and after several days in Kyoto, will be going to Tokyo on the 27th.

Could I book tickets for the Tokaido Shinkansen (Kyoto-Tokyo) when I arrive at Kansai Airport (and maybe for any train trips I plan to make in Japan?) Is the chance of Tokaido Shinkansen being booked out very high? (since it is during the holiday period) I dont want to arrive in Japan and find out that I couldnt travel to Tokyo because it's all sold out!

Cheers
by William  

... 2007/10/7 19:53
You are unlikely to run into any major problems for making seat reservations on shinkansen trains before December 29.

This year, December 29 is anticipated to be the peak of the "outbound" traffic, when people leave Tokyo (and other large metropolitan areas), while January 3-4 will probably be the peak in the opposite direction.

I think you should have no problems on December 24 and 27.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/10/8 09:47
Cheers, thanks for the prompt reply!
by William rate this post as useful

29 Dec 07 at Narita Airport 2007/10/8 22:51
After travelling for 2 weeks, we will go back home (from Narita airport) on 29 Dec 07. From Uji's comment, on 29 Dec this year, expect the peak at the airport. My question: how many hours we need from arrive at the airport to check in our baggage?
by Anty rate this post as useful

Narita airport on December 29th 2007/10/8 23:07
If you have no check-in priorities ( First Class, Business Class, Frequent Flyer ) and you check in by queueing at Economy Class counter I recommend to be at the airport 3 hours prior to your departure. You must have finished check in at least 1 hour prior departure and please be aware of queues in front of security check and passport control.
by Peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread