Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Akita rice... 2007/10/9 13:25
Why is Akita rice so special and famous in Japan? How is it different from rice produced elsewhere in Japan? We will try out most of the rice dishes in Akita while there especially Kiritampo stew.
by tju  

... 2007/10/9 18:39
As some areas in France are known for good wines, some areas in Japan are known for good rice. As for Akita, its location and weather fit rice production. It faces the Sea of Japan to the west, where Tsuhima (warm) current is running. To the east, Oou Mountains block cold wind (what is called "Yamase"). Most rice fields are located in the basin, where temperature gap between daytime/night is big (and this is good for rice growing). Also, Akita has plenty of clean water.

By the way, the most famous brandname rice in Akita is Akita-Komachi.
by JLady rate this post as useful

Rice 2007/10/10 05:19
I think the other poster answered quite well. My daughter lived in Akita for two years and I have been there many times. Not only is the rice considered superior, but so is the Sake made in Akita from Akita rice. There's a sake museum you can visit. Have a wonderful time!
by Happee rate this post as useful

... few more questions, please... 2007/10/10 10:55
Yes, who can forget the wonderful Sake from Akita. Just wonder why the water in the Akita area is cleaner and more suitable for rice cultivation and Sake.
Is the Sake museum located in Akita city?

Thank you!
by tju rate this post as useful

Niigata . . . 2007/10/11 08:56
. . . is probably more famous for rice. No joke. JTB gave me a 3-cup bag of Niigata rice as a gift and I kept it for eight months before I cooked it. Still superb!

Niigata and Akita are known for something other than good rice - their famous bijin or beautiful women. The saying goes to produce them you need good water and good rice!

That still doesn't explain Fukuoka, though . . .
by Clevor rate this post as useful

Water 2007/11/14 12:50
Akita has a large amount of snowfall during Winter. Then we have abundance of water all through the year and there are a large area of deep forest in Akita. Then the large amount of water will be filtered and purified by the forest. Consequently, the quality of water in Akita is very good. Both of Rice and Sake are based on water. Where water is good, rice and sake are also good.
As you know, "Akita Komachi", a brand produced in Akita about 20 years ago is popular. I remember the debut was kind of sensational. Akita Komachi's large and round shape grain, sticky texture and sweet flavor is something Japanese Peaple like so Akita Komachi was the first competitive brand in the market which had been dominated by the famous brand "Koshihikari" and "Sasanishiki" for a long time.
by Hiroko rate this post as useful

...Shirekami -sanchi 2007/11/14 13:20
Thanks a lot for explaining why water in Akita is suitable for Sake making. I presume Shirekami-sanchi is the forest in Akita?
by tju rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/15 20:14
I thought it was only me who noticed girls from Fukuoka was very beautiful too. My Japanese friend explained how it was impossible, because all the most beautiful women in Japan should be in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo because the Emperor had once lived in those cities. Beat that explanation.

As for rice, I think Clevor is also right. The Niigata Koshihikari is more expensive and its a better grain. I'm not really sure which tastes better, they're both pretty good to me. Sake from both places are also really great.
by Blanc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread