Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How many cities in a 8-day trip? 2007/10/9 16:50
I'm traveling to Japan for the first time this December 14-23. Having only eight full days, I have been intending to spend most of that time in Tokyo, with a day or two devoted to going to a more out of the way, possibly rural area for the more traditional Japanese experience. But will I get bored with a full six days in Tokyo? Ifm sure there is plenty to do, but I wonder if some of that time might be better spent elsewhere. That said, Ifm definitely not into moving at a frantic pace to try and cram everything into one trip. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
by dusty  

... 2007/10/9 19:41
So you have Day 1: arrival in Tokyo, Days 2 - 7 to spend, then Day 8 departing from Tokyo, correct?
Considering that some people try to do a one-day trip to Kyoto (departing very early in the morning from Tokyo and returning late), getting out on an overnight trip to Kyoto is quite possible as well.
But if you plan to stay around Tokyo area, maybe you could go on a day trip to Kamakura (without changing your hotel in Tokyo), and/or maybe do an overnight trip to Nikko? Nikko itself (shrines in town) can be visited on a day trip, but if you like nature and want to experience "onsen" hot springs, it might be an idea to stay in Nikko/Chuzenji Lake area for a night.
Really it depends on what you want to see :)
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/15 09:20
No, I'll have two traveling days plus eight full days in Japan. I would like to put a big emphasis on the onsen/ryokan part of the trip, so that can take a couple days if necessary. I'd like to go to an onsen where the weather will be as cold as possible and possibly mountainous (within reasonable distance from Tokyo, not going to Hokkaido or anything). I would also like for the onsen city to have something to do during the day, whether it be shrines, little towns, etc. Any idea where I should go?
by dusty rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/15 09:34
Then (and if you still want to stay around Tokyo area) definitely do an overnight trip to Nikko :) They have nice onsen, they have shrines to visit, a lake to walk around (I don't know if they have the boat rides in winter, maybe they do), a fabulous waterfall; you can go higher up and walk through a fabulous walking trail if you go for that :)

But I guess eight days in Japan means you have time to go to Kyoto as well :)
by AK rate this post as useful

At least two or three more 2007/10/15 16:54
If you don't care much about the 'shopping' city experience, then you can easily zip down to Kyoto, tour around, sleep over or return to Tokyo, zip on over to Hakone or Nikko, return to Tokyo, and even squeeze in Atami/Izu if you're not too tired. Then spend the rest seeing some of the relaxing areas in Tokyo for a few days (eg Meiji shrine for a long walk, parks, etc) before you get back to shopping (which for touristy items are mostly made in China nowadays).
by D =) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread