Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 Weeks in Japan 2007/10/13 05:37
Hello, i will be going to Japan for two weeks with my sister next June and I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the travel options.

There are so many places I want to go to, but I do not want to be too rushed, so I need help figuring out which of the following places are NOT an absolute must see and which ones should have a day or more devoted to them.
We are going to spend a fair chunk of time in Tokyo because we like pop culture and want to experience the vibrant, energetic city atmosphere and urban landscape. But we also want to see a slice of old Japan and go to places like onsen, shrines, teahouses, etc. So we have decided for sure on Tokyo and Kyoto, but want to fit more in. What would be the best side trips to suit our interests?

Here's a very rough itinerary:
Tokyo for 5 days. We want to see Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Asukasa, Ginza, and maybe Roppongi or Odaiba, though I think I could stand to skip Roppongi.

Kyoto-3days

Osaka-2 days

Side trip options: (this is what I cannot decide on). I want to do at least two day trips. Which of these two are absolute must sees?

Kamakura, Nikko, Nara, Hakone, Hiroshima?
Or do you have any other sidetrip suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
by jamie  

Don't rush 2007/10/13 10:30
Hi Jamie

Tokyo for 5 days. That's easy. Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Asukasa, Ginza are fine but I would add Ueno/ Ueno Park. Since you are in Tokyo go to Nikko.

Kyoto and Osaka are fine and since you are there Nara is a quick jump and so is Kobe.

The idea here, is not to rush. Give yourself time to settle in and enjoy the peeople, foods, sights and smells of Japan.

Tenshi
by Tenshi rate this post as useful

Suggestions 2007/10/13 10:40
As a tour guide, it is exciting to suggest to you which parts of Japan you should go.
As I live near Tokyo, I know the city quite well.
1st day; visit Ueno, Asakusa and Akihabara
2ns day; visit Shinjuku, Harajuku and Shibuya
3rd day; Roppongi, Ginza and Shinbashi
4th day; Odaiba and then go to Hakone or Kamakura
5th day: enjoy the natural beaty of Hakone if sunny. Or enjoy Kamakura if rains.
If you wish to have more advise on the metropolitan area, please contact me anytime via e-mail.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread