Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bring back goods from Japan 2007/10/13 17:36
I live in England and am planning on going to Japan next year, i was wondering whether there is a limit on how many goods i can bring back to England or if theres a money limit. I was going to buy some clothes and video games and maybe bring back some Japanese food. Are the Japanese strict on taking goods out or do i have a limit etc. Also should i keep reciepts etc for airport customs.

Any help?
by Ste  

customs laws 2007/10/13 21:48
Anything that is not illegal that is for your own personal use or for gifts you can carry freely between countries. You need to worry more about the country you are taking something to than the country you are taking it out of- there are no customs checks as you leave a country, only as you enter.

If you take a huge number of video games and Customs in the UK finds them and suspects you are planning to sell them, you would possibly be charged duty on them. If it's a reasonable amount that looks like it is for personal use they won't worry at all.

You can take whatever food you like out of Japan, but you need to check with British customs as to what you can take into the UK. Meat may be out for example.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Export 2007/10/13 21:52
You can't export more than 100,000yen of goods supposedly, but im not sure.

Check the japanese customs website. This is where I got the number. Yeah, check UK for their customs too.
by JAVguy rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/14 03:39
If it is legal to take into the UK you can take as much as you want out of Japan. You can buy yourself 10 cars, and take them out of Japan if you wanted, assuming you had all the appropriate paperwork/tax and customs duties to take them into the UK.

However note that your home countries Customs service might have duty (tax) limits etc that you have to declare or pay if you go over a certain limit.

by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/14 03:42
On food, there might be restrictiosn on the type of food you can bring back into the UK, again check with British Customs service. Mainly for many countries, customs and argicultural services prohibit the importation of any meet or live plant products, but the rules vary from country to country. What matters is checking on the UK side not the Japan side.
by John rate this post as useful

145 duty free max 2007/10/14 16:43
You can bring back items max total worth 145 back into the UK:
See the following webpage:
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPort...
by Kappa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread