Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Doing homework in Japan... 2007/10/14 11:10
Okay, so... I hope this question isn't too dumb. But I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Will my microsoft word documents be compatible with Japanese computers?

Ex. if I brought my laptop but not a printer and I needed to visit a library or internet cafe to print a paper?

Or is there an international word processing program to download? Or something?

Thanks!
by teamlouise  

MS Office in Japan 2007/10/14 16:12
The short answer is yes, an MS Office document you made on your computer is readable and printable on a computer in Japan.

I understand that you will bring your laptop, in that case you won't have any problems as it will be your computer handling the printer. But if you just want to pass on a Word document between computers, you always have to be aware that the font you used is not necessarily available on that computer so that the layout might change slightly and you need to be aware that it can be difficult to find a computer with the same version of MS Office and you might want to save the documents in an older version of Word so any version of Word can read them.
A hotel can quite often print documents for you if you email the frontdesk a PDF version of the document. They usually don't take Word documents as they can contain viruses.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/10/14 16:22
Excellent, thank you!
by teamlouise rate this post as useful

reply to this thread