Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese vacuum cleaner in US? 2007/10/16 17:58
Hi all,

After 8 years in Japan, my wife & I'll be moving back to the US next year. I'm pretty sure that most of our electronics should be ok, but I'm kind of worried about the fancy shmancy way too expensive vacuum cleaner that we just bought (Sanyo AirSys SC-XD1).

Seeing as this is a 1000W vac, there's no way we'd be able to use it w/o a step down transformer, right?

Also, I've read on several Japanese sites that in the step down process, it also increases the amperage 2-3 times. Does this mean that I'm gonna need a 3000W 120VAC to 100VAC step down transformer? Somebody please help!

Thanks!
by HokkaidoHillbilly  

Re: Japanese vacuum cleaner in US? 2007/10/24 05:10
I don't think it will be a problem to just use it outright... check and see if it will take 120-125v in the manual (it might have a range of valid voltages).
I don't think it could use 2-3x the wattage unless it was converting from 220 to 110 or thereabouts... the formula is:
volts*amps = watts. I would think the worst-case scenario would be that it used the same number of amps at 120v, which would mean it'd be running at 1200W...
by Kazu-chan rate this post as useful

what about cycles? 2007/10/24 09:42
Dumb question following onto the vacuum question...what about the 50 vs 60 cycles, is that something different? For example, I can plug in an electric clock from the states in Japan, but unless it has dual 50/60 cycles then it'll lose ten minutes on the hour. Likewise I can plug some Japanese appliances in in the states, but they will run faster & burn out...so the vacuum cleaner, would it be able to run but just run faster in the states?
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

reply to this thread