Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How far is safe october 22 2007/10/17 21:24
hi everyone. my friend and i will be in the mt fuji area on 21 and 22 of october and i want to know what is a recommended height to climb. i have climbing experience (macdonald ranges, flinders ranges, ayers rock (uluru) in australia but these are far smaller i am aware. i am sensible and aware of taking lots of water and food and making stops. we are both young and fit. i don:t have proper climbing gear - just pants, jumper, spray jacket, wool hat. although i have some experience i know without the proper gear, experience is not enough. how far do you think would be safe to go? do you recommend the climb at all? i would make ascent and decent during the day so no need for huts. i would want to start from kawaguchi-ko@5th station.
by Tim  

Cold climbing 2007/10/19 00:45
Late October is probably going to be a pretty cold and snowy time to climb up. The mountain is only "open" in July and August which means you won't have any food/huts/etc available. It was about 40 degrees with freezing rain while I was climbing last year in August. Also, I don't know whether or not the buses will still go all the way to station 5 in October but that's a good thing to check too. If not, that's another 3-6 hours of walking.

I think a lot will depend on how the weather is on the day you go out to Fuji. If it's bad weather I probably wouldn't go up. If it's nice, it might be worth it to go up to station 6 or 7. Just be careful though, the weather can change VERY quickly on the mountain.
by Brent rate this post as useful

Fuji in winter 2007/10/19 08:42
If the weather is fine, up to the 8th station (about 3000m) or the snow-line, whichever is lower. I agree that if the weather is bad you shouldn't go- hypothermia can set in quickly if you get wet.

When the above poster said it was 40 degrees in summer on the mountain I'm guessing he means fahrenheit.

Even in midsummer it is close to zero deg C at the top, expect it to be pretty cold even in the daytime in October. Proper clothing is essential.

by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread