Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Affectionate term for girlfriend 2007/10/19 01:05
Can someone tell me what an affectionate term would be a girlfriend or lover? As in when you say Hi. In english you can say good morning baby or beautiful. In portuguese they use the term bonica ( translated 'doll'). What would or could the Japanese use?
by Tom Jones  

... 2007/10/20 11:52
There isn't really any equilvalent to "sweety," "my dear," etc., in Japanese. Anything of the sort "beautiful" and all that would sound completely like imports from the English language and corny... People normally pick a nice nickname and use that :)
by AK rate this post as useful

What have you used 2007/10/20 13:25
So there is no romantic term for a girlfriend. What have you and/or other people used as a nickname. Could you give me examples? I am just trying to understand. Thank you for your help.
by Tom Jones rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/20 13:44
When I say nicknames, I mean nicknames made from the individual's first name, or just something completely different, because of something she likes in particular...

As examples of nicknames made from first names, just as an example, if the girlfriend's name was Michiko, it could be Mitchan (the first part of the name plus "-chan," an informal suffix to a name), or Michi-rin (again the first part of the name plus "-rin," a suffix that is supposed to be cute), Mitchie, Michi, etc., etc.

mi do so 2007/10/21 00:56
I think that in Japanese, we usually express the affectionate tone by our voices or intonation, but I can't describe it in writing.

But let me try. For example, an ordinary "good morning" is "o-ha-yoo" with the melody line of "do-re-re", while an affectionate one would be "mi-do-so" with staccato for each note.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Please explain more 2007/10/21 01:33
Could please explain where and how in the Good Morning statement mi-do-so whould fit in.
Being alittle corny whould actually be good. She loves when I say, Hello Sexy or Good Morning Beautiful, although she thinks that I am just being nice.
I like to over emphasize my greetings to her, in lieu of being corny. It makes her feel good, and beautiful. It would make her happy, and hopefully feel that I am not just being nice, if I could greet her in her own language the same way that I greet her in English or Italian. She loves the affection in my Italian heritage.
by TJ rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/21 13:48
TJ, I'm afraid I couldn't understand your last question.

... 2007/10/21 14:12
Uco-san,
I think TJ was having difficulty how "mi-do-so" would fit in together with the "Good morning" greeting. I take it that you are referring to the musical notes "mi (E) - do (C) - so(G)" to describe the up-and-down tone how the word "o-ha-yo" (good morning in japanese) was pronounced, right?

To me, the up-and-down tones might express friendliness and liveliness, but *not really* anything that leads to compliments for the lady, though. To TJ, I think there are some things that do not really "translate well" across different languages, and the "hello beautiful" and "hello sexy" phrases are better said in English or Italian, as they are now :)

right 2007/10/21 21:55
Right AK, that's what I meant about the mi-do-so, and no, as you said, it doesn't work as a compliment.

Actually, I'm sure you'll agree with me AK, that that is one of the advantages of the English language as opposed to Japanese. You can squeeze in compliments into greetings.

... 2007/10/21 22:38
Yes, Uco-san, I agree that it's with English (and other Western languages, to the extent I know) that those sweet-sounding "Hi my baby" and "Good morning my beautiful, how are you this morning?" etc., etc., work as a greeting and can really make some women feel good about themselves and feel that they are cared about :) I think it's one of the charms of the language. I am sure it sounds evern sweeter with Italian (I don't mean to say that the language is excessively romantic or anything, I am just saying that it is better at openly and positively communicating some feelings and sentiments better than some other languages). I am sure TJ's girlfriend knows that :)

reply to this thread