Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need book ahead Shinkansen Tokyo-Kyoto? 2004/2/26 18:37
I am planning on coming to Japan in your spring (our Easter period). We are going to stay in Tokyo for a few days and then catch the Shinkansen to Kyoto. Will there be available seats for same-day travel in April or will I need to book the train tickets some time ahead (from Australia)?
by Jane Ianniello  

April 2004/2/28 09:06
Will there be available seats for same-day travel in April or will I need to book the train tickets some time ahead (from Australia)?

Before April 29, there will likely be seats available for same-day travel on all days.

On and after April 29 is "Golden Week", and it will be difficult to get seats for same-day travel.
by Uji rate this post as useful

How many people are you? 2004/2/28 11:56
If you're a healthy group of 1 or 2 persons, getting seats is not much of a problem. Even if the reserved section is full, you can always queue for half an hour or so to get seats on the non-reserved section, or you can always stand or sit on your luggage between the cars.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Reservations 2004/2/28 16:26
If I were you I would make reservations since it sounds like you have the time to do it, it's not too expensive and it is very comfortable. If you have a Japan Rail pass it is free and since the costs of the trip Tokyo - Kyoto - Tokyo are about the same as the costs for a Japan Rail pass for one week, maybe you ought to look into that.

Since you are in Tokyo before leaving to Kyoto, you walk up to the reservation window in any train station and you make the reservation (also for the trip back) as soon as you know when you'll be traveling. Often the person doesn't speak English, but it if you write down the town names, dates and approximate hours, it will be no problem whatsoever. Like this, for instance:

21/04/2004 9:00 Tokyo --] Kyoto
24/04/2004 18:00 Kyoto --] Tokyo
by Kappa rate this post as useful

reserved vs. non-reserved 2004/2/28 17:07
Yes, I would make seat reservations, too, especially on your way back from Kyoto to Tokyo.

... 2004/2/28 21:13
I think it's indeed a good idea to make seat reservations for the Shinkansen if you only have one day for visiting Kyoto (much too short!). In particular if you have a JR railpass, I mean, you can't use the Nozomi Shinkansen with this pass so you have to take to Hikari which goes less frequent than the Nozomi. Btw, it takes about 3 hours by Shinkansen to get from Tokyo to Kyoto and keep in mind that the last Hikari from Kyoto to Tokyo departs around 20:30.
For more information see:
http://www.world.eki-net.com/e_Trainsearch/e_timetable/index.html
by Bomber rate this post as useful

JR Pass 2004/2/29 14:00
Can you do seat reservation on Shinkansen before JR Pass is validated?
by Lynda rate this post as useful

Reserved Seat Collection Point 2005/9/2 23:32
My entry point into Japan is Chitose Airport. Then I will be travelling with a tour from Hokkaido till Aomori. After that I will be travelling on my own for a week around Honshu. My question - can I collect the reserved seat ticket in Chitose Airport or Aomori Station (preferable)?
by Mel rate this post as useful

JR Railpass Exchange Point 2005/9/2 23:37
Does anyone know if I can exchange the voucher for the actual rail pass at either Chitose Airport or Aomori Station(preferable)? Otherwise I am dead meat!
by Mel rate this post as useful

Chitose Airport 2005/9/3 04:21
According to the info I received you can exchange the pass at the New-Chitose Airport (6:30-22:00). Aomori Station was not listed.
by Richard rate this post as useful

... 2005/9/3 07:49
can I collect the reserved seat ticket in Chitose Airport or Aomori Station (preferable)?

Collect reserved tickets? Do you mean that you made advance reservations via the internet, using ekinet?

Assuming you are refering to seat reservations made via ekinet, yes, you can pick them up at Aomori Station. But no, you cannot pick them up in Hokkaido.

Does anyone know if I can exchange the voucher for the actual rail pass at either Chitose Airport or Aomori Station(preferable)?

As Richard mentioned, it seems to be possible at New-Chitose Airport, but not at Aomori Station.

Tokyo to Kyoto 2007/7/25 17:35
Could anyone please confirm this for me :

Shinkansen from Tokyo departs at the JR Tokyo Station and arrives at JR Kyoto Station.

I wouldn't want to assume anything, therefore am seeking confirmation. Thanks a lot :)
by Justin Wong rate this post as useful

Shinkansen Tokyo-Kyoto 2007/7/25 18:43
Shinkansen from Tokyo departs at the JR Tokyo Station and arrives at JR Kyoto Station.

Yes, that is correct.

by Philip rate this post as useful

validating and reserving shinkansen 2007/7/26 04:45
I am arriving in Osaka on 11th August for an 11 night visit to Japan. First 4 nights and last 4 nights are in Osaka (family reasons). Should I validate my 7 day Japan Rail Pass early in visit so I can book to go to Tokyo and return on days 5, 6 and 7?
by Leveebank rate this post as useful

Activation procedure of Japan Rail Pass 2007/7/26 11:31
I think I now have the answer to my own question previously posted. I received my exchange order for the rail pass today in the post. My understanding is early in my arrival in Japan I can use the Exchange Order to apply for a pass at a Pass Exchange Office and at that time nominate a date of first travel (which could be several days later). Having done that I should then be able to make a booking on the Shinkansen. Is this correct?
by Leveebank rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/26 11:33
When you order a Japan Rail Pass overseas, you get an exchange voucher, when you come to Japan you exchange the voucher for the actual JR Pass at the exchange office.

At that time, on the form you fill out to exchange the rail pass it will ask you what the first day you want to use the pass on. After you get the pass you can make reservations as long as the reservation dates are within the validity of the pass.
by John. rate this post as useful

book ahead tickets only? 2007/8/9 09:07
I plan to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto on Sept. 25, 2007. (Will arrive in Tokyo Sept. 23). Is it possible for me to purchase two reserved seats for the Nozumi Shinkansan (spelling?)prior to arriving in Japan? If so, how?

Thanks
by Evie rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/9 09:19
No its not possible to book Nozomi or any train tickets outside of Japan.

However the date you are traveling there is no major holiday or peak travel season, you shouldn't have any problems reserving tickets in japan.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/8/13 06:00
John - thanks for this info. Very helpful. Sounds like the best option will be to purchase the tickets when I arrive in Japan and request reserved seats.
by Evie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread