Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveller Checks in Yen ? 2007/10/19 15:20
As I understand, Japan is a cash country. Credit Cards and Debit Cards are not widely usable and it is even more difficult if they are foreign. ATMs usually donft accept 6-digit-PIN and/or foreign cards.

So how about Yen traveller checks then? Does it make sense to bring those? Can you use them directly in ryokans and hotels? Can you change them in all cities and towns (like Beppu, Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kurashiki)?
by bumblebee  

... 2007/10/20 17:31
Bumblebee, credit cards and debit cards are widely used in Japan. Tell your banks/card company that you'll visit Japan and want to use your card.

I normally used credit card for a purchase of 10,000 yen and up and cash for below 10,000 yen.
by JLady rate this post as useful

makes sense 2007/10/21 05:22
--------So how about Yen traveller checks then? Does it make sense to bring those? Can you use them directly in ryokans and hotels? Can you change them in all cities and towns (like Beppu, Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kurashiki)? ---------

We've used it in Beppu and Hiroshima but not at the Ryoukan.

It does make sense if you like things hassle free by using cash and would like to have some money on hand other than build up a large numbers on your credit cards.
Best ways is to have travelers cheques exchanged (how ever amount you think you want at that time) at the airport currency exchange booth upon your arrival or at your hotel cashier but it is better at the airport.
I found that most merchants in Japan accept travelers cheques directly (as they are suppose to) if purchase is larger in amount than change in itself. Example: not all would accept it for purchase of a bowl of udon with 100 dollar traveller's cheque. All of the hotels and lodgings we've stayed at (when needed to be paid by TC) they accepted. More so accepted at major hotels than small Ryoukan where large numbers are privately owned so they choose how they want to get paid.
by cc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread