Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chubu queries - Kanazawa or Matsumoto? 2007/10/20 00:20
Hi all,

Sorry if a similar question has been asked before. I'm planning a trip to Japan in the dates 12th Dec - 8th Jan, a nice long time I know... Yet I still seem to be having trouble fitting things in! Don't know how I do it :)

My doubts rise from trying to plan travel through the Chubu region. I and my partner are planning to leave Kyoto on the night of the 24th December (if possible of course) after touring Kansai, and spend the night in Kanazawa. The next days are so far planned as follows:

(December)
25th - Kanazawa
26th - Morning in Kanazawa, then travel to Shirakawago in the afternoon. Spend the night at Shirakawago.
27th - Bus to Takayama (spend day and night there)
28th - Bus to Matsumoto (spend day and night there)
29th - Bus to Tsumago. Walk the Tsumago - Magome Trail. Train from Magome to Gero, spend the afternoon and night at Gero.
30th - Train from Gero to Nagoya (90min). Train from Nagoya to Tokyo (120 min).

How does this short plan look to all you seasoned travellers out there? Is it too ambitious? We plan to takuhaibin our luggage over to Tokyo while we're travelling, so it'll be a backpack affair while covering Chubu and luggage shouldn't be a problem.

However, having heard that Kanazawa is a great place to visit, is a day and a half too little time to devote to it? Should I make more time to spend another day there, possibly by cutting out the trip to Matsumoto? I'm not sure what else is there to see at Matsumoto besides the castle, so is it worth making the trip just for this, or would I be better cutting it out of the itinerary?

If anyone else has any other comments or advice that would be greatly appreciated! Eg, if the schedule is too hectic, or travel times are too tight etc. I have a feeling that we haven't left enough time in each day to do everything listed!
Well, thanks in advance for all your help everyone!
by jackie  

... 2007/10/22 02:47
bump?

Anyone have any input?
by .. rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/3 14:07
Train from Magome to Gero, spend the afternoon and night at Gero.

First of all, Magome is a 30 minute bus ride from the closest train station, Nakatsugawa Station. When using online timetables, don't confuse it with "Magome Station" in Tokyo.

From Nakatsugawa Station, there are direct buses to Gero, which I recommend over the train detour:
http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/a0_bus/teiki/ji-keihoku.htm
中津川 means Nakatsugawa
下呂 means Gero

Alternatively you could consider the following, shorter route:

Kanazawa - Shirakawago - Takayama - Gero - Magome/Tsumago - Matsumoto - Tokyo

Your time allocations seems on the rushed side, but should be possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks Uji! 2007/11/15 03:40
Hi,

Thanks very much for your response Uji! I had already given up on getting an answer to my post, but came across it again by coiincidence, so thank you again for your time to answer it.

As per your advice I looked at the bus schedules, and it looks like I could make the bus trip from Magome (14:05) to Nakatsugawa (14:35) and then Nakatsugawa (15:10) to Gero (17:03). It's a bit tight though, because the bus from Nakatsugawa to Gero is the last one for the day (it will be a Saturday so if I read correctly there will be no 17:35 bus running.
Do you know if there is a train running from Nakatsugawa station to Gero instead? I would feel safer if there was, just in case we somehow miss the bus...

Alternatively you could consider the following, shorter route:

Kanazawa - Shirakawago - Takayama - Gero - Magome/Tsumago - Matsumoto - Tokyo

Yes, this route looks like it would make a lot more sense doesn't it? In fact, I considered this route first since it seemed much more straightforward. However, this would have meant that we would be in Matsumoto on the 29th of December, and I read that Matsumoto Castle will not be open on that day. Thus, I tried to think of a route that would allow us to be in Matsumoto earlier than that.
I am thinking now that it may be better to just compromise and miss out visiting Matsumoto castle in order to have a better, more relaxed route for my trip.

(I know it's really my personal preference but)
What would you choose, Uji?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.
by jackie rate this post as useful

snow 2007/11/15 11:56
please keep in mind that those areas you are visiting have a lot of snow in winter. If snows on your trip, then the public transport system may be affected. But, with the global warming, the snow season may arrive a little late.
by mi rate this post as useful

snow 2007/11/15 12:04
Hi Mi,

Yes that's true. I'll have to ring ahead and hope this route is still possible.
If the public transport is affected would I be able to rent a car and drive the route instead? Or would roads just be closed entirely?

Thanks.
by jackie rate this post as useful

Kanazawa is great 2007/11/18 19:18
I did a similar thing trip in April 2006. My only comment would be that if possible, you should aim to spend more time in Kanazawa. It's a delightful city and justifies at least a couple of days (though maybe you're not that into gardens!) In the samurai area, be sure to visit the samurai's private home.

I don't think it would matter too much if Matsumoto jo is closed, seeing it from the outside is the best part anyway. The walk from the station passes lots of interesting little shops, some of them up the side streets. There are shops which had lots of hina matsuri stuff when I was there in January, and kodomo no hi stuff when I was there in April.
by hikari rate this post as useful

reply to this thread