Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Safety In Tokyo 2007/10/21 05:04
Hey guys, i'm a 23 year old young woman who's going to be living in Tokyo, Japan for almost a year. I will be going with my bf, but he will be working quite a bit. During the day, i'm likely to just wander around Tokyo and get to know the place.

However, i'm somewhat concerned about the level of violence towards women in Tokyo and Japan in general. Is it common in Tokyo? Just how often do women or people in general get mugged?

If anybody could answer these questions i'd be eternally greatful.
by Sylar  

... 2007/10/22 09:39
Tokyo and Japan in general is one of the safest places to travel in the world. It is one of the few countries where I think single women travelers can travel in relative safety all the time. I've often seen single women traveling in situations that I wouldn't feel comfortable with in any other country.

Also, I would say that women, and people in general, are almost never mugged.

That said, you should always take precautions to protect yourself such as avoiding obviously bad situations (i.e. walking home really drunk down deserted dark streets late at night). But generally you can feel safe here and just enjoy yourself rather than worrying about your safety.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/22 11:01
Japan and Tokyo have relatively low crime.

Many crimes are committed by people who know the other person. Not to say there are not random crime as well.

But the likelyhood is smaller. If you take the same precautions you would anywhere else then you should be fine.
by John rate this post as useful

Japan is safe 2007/10/22 12:42
In the 9 years I (female) have lived here in Tokyo I have never heard of anyone getting mugged. I do know two people who have had their wallets stolen by pickpockets on the train.

Really this is a very safe place- there is pretty much nowhere in Tokyo where I would say you have to be careful.

In the day time you are safe anywhere. At night you are better off sticking to well-lit public places, as in any country, but you don't need to worry really.
by Sira rate this post as useful

.... 2007/10/22 15:17
...have been visiting Japan since early 70's. One of the nicest and safest places. However, being a visitor/traveler, common sense is of paramount important eg avoid walking alone in the back lanes, be cautious when approached by stranger, don't wear expensive clothes and keep your money safe etc. Enjoy your stay!
by tju rate this post as useful

things to keep in mind as a girl 2007/10/23 11:40
Does "mugged" mean "being a victim of armed robbery"? If so, that rarely happens to anyone in Japan.

However there are common crimes in particular to Japan. The number one crime is probably having your bicycle or umbrella stolen, and normal people steal them like it's nothing. Don't let go of your precious bikes and umbrellas, or otherwise only use cheap ones.

In crowded city centers, there are also, as mentioned, professional pickpockets and bars that rip you off. Take extra care when using your bank card at the cash dispencer, because criminals may be watching you. Go to bars with recommendations.

What women need need to watch out in particular today are purse-snatchers, usually young criminals coming on motorbikes. In Japan, a lot of streets don't have sidewalks, so motorbikes can come very close to pedestrians. If your purse happens to be snatched, try to let go of it, since there have been several women who were severely injured being dragged by the bikes. You will be alright as long as you have your purse on the inner side of the street.

There are also many perverts on trains during rush hours, but this can be avoided today as most trains have "women only" cars in the crowded hours. However, young ladies can easily become victims of stalkers. Try to walk with the crowd after dark.

But generally speaking, Japan still is a lot safer than many other countries, and as you can see most crime can be avoided. I just didn't want you to think that you can walk the streets carelessly, as a lot of young women, foreign and domestic, do.
by Uco rate this post as useful

It's safe here 2007/10/23 14:28
While the crimes that Uco mentions above do happen, they are not that common. While people do get stalked sometimes, it doesn't happen that often.

Uco, you made Japan sound very scary- "many perverts on the trains" and "young ladies easily become victims of stalkers" sounds terrifying! I probably wouldn't have come if I had read that before I arrived in Japan.

Sure these crimes happen, but not often, and less than in other countries. It's probably better not to overstate the risks, as people then worry unnecessarily. Especially about things like women having their bags snatched and being dragged down the street- that has to be pretty rare.

use common sense 2007/10/24 00:10
I don't think Uco's advice is overly sensational. While overall Japan is safe, these crimes do happen and you should not check your common sense at the border. I think she qualified her advice with that understanding.
by Tilt rate this post as useful

I appologise 2007/10/24 08:19
I'm very sorry if I sounded too scary. As I tried to mention at the last part of my previous post, that wasn't my intention at all.

But when we Japanese people travel abroad, we are told many examples of local crimes and are told how to take extra care. I do think some people are overly scared by this, but thanks to the info, many come home safely.

The biggest reason I want to be honest is because I've personally talked to a lot of foreign visitors who became victims of crimes here in Japan and they'd often say, "This must be a mistake. It's not suppose to happen in Japan." or even something along the lines of "You don't know, because you never became a victim of this crime." But it is suppose to happen, and I too have repeatedly became victims of some of the crimes I listed.

Of course I welcome all that want to come to Japan, but because I do, I don't want them to be dissapointed later. If you want to come to Japan, please come because you're interested and not because it's safer here. I also don't think it's fair that foreign visitors are the only ones who don't get to hear all those precausion infos that the police repeatedly provides us.

I'd like to repeat that Japan is not at all an extra dangerous country, but people need to keep in mind that it's not really a sanctuary either, and I hope you understand that I tried to focus on _how_ you can avoid yourself from being a victim.

stats 2007/10/24 09:34
I read in the news yesterday (Yahoo I think) that Japan has one seventh the violent crime of the United States. The statistics should speak for themselves. Violent crime exists, but you are 7 times pretty unlikely to be a victim of it.

. 2007/10/24 09:42
Unfortunately statistics are just statistics, and I usually don't like them. Lindsay Ann Hawker from my understanding one of the reasons she chose Japan was because she considered it to be a very safe country.

Now of course I'm not saying people are going to get murdered, but crime can happen, so it is important to not be too self assured about safety. So you don't want to put yourself in a situation where i t can happen, and that is by following the regular safety procedures you might want anywhere.
by John rate this post as useful

can't rely on statistics 2007/10/24 13:41
If certain crimes are underreported, then the statistics about them are not very persuasive. In general, Japan is a safe country, but it is not a country with no violent crime or with zero danger for women. Also, as a foreigner, you are a more visible and potentially more vulnerable target.

by Tilt rate this post as useful

not to panic 2007/10/25 10:28
Sira has a point.

A lot of people have the image that the U.S. is full of crimes. But in reality, most people who visit the U.S. come home without even witnessing any crime at all.

Similarly, just because Japan has a share fair of crime increase, that doesn't mean you'll automatically become a victim.

Precausion should not be the same as terror.

Lindsay 2007/10/25 13:05
I would say that Lindsay Ann Hawker took unnecessary risks. I always say that Japan is safe but that you should use your common sense and take most of the precautions you would in your home country. Her death was a terrible tragedy, but she went into the apartment of a guy who had stalked her, which was risky.

She is also just one visible case among thousands of women working here teaching English. Lucie Blackman also went back to the house of a guy she didn't know well, and hostessing as a job has risks associated with it.

I have actually been stalked by a student as well, but luckily left the country for a while before it could escalate. (I didn't leave because of the stalking, it was a planned round the world trip). I still think Japan is relatively safe.

generally safe. 2007/10/25 15:37
Generally, borningly safe aside from the usual news reports of odd things occuring.

1) Avoid the 'party'/redlight spots in Tokyo. That includes Shibuya at night, Ueno at night, Yoyogi, kabuki-cho, etc. Not that it'll likely get violent, but generally, lots of pushy men out there. Nothing that would make trouble if you just be strong and say no, but if you're the easy 'lamb' kinda girl who just can't say NO!!!, well., just avoid those areas at those times.

The cuter you are, the more likely you'll also get offers for hotel stays, new BFs, money for anything, etc. at night in some of those spots, esp. in seedier bars/clubs, etc.

Otherwise, besides the rare party scene where you wind up waking up not knowing how you got there, not much to worry about.

2) Trains - the rare hand on your butt, but generally can be avoided by not travelling on them during rush hour periods, or riding the women's only.
Late nights also brings the usual drunks on board (they're mostly more funny to watch).

3) english schools.
Yep, if you're a teacher there in on of those, expect just about every guy to hit on you, while half of them will have bad breath. Be strong and push them off, and just don't give them anything personal. You may have to blacklist them or switch them to another teacher if it gets bad. But again, mostly managable.

---

At the most, take a karate or judo class while you're there. That's about as violent as you should expect, but it'll help if you still have worries.

by d =) rate this post as useful

Exaggerate much? 2007/10/25 17:14
"Expect just about every guy to hit on you"? Are you serious? A bit insulting to Japanese men in general, don't you think?

reply to this thread