Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Health Insurance when not working? 2007/10/21 13:58
I'm currently employed at NOVA (emphasis on 'currently') but if I quit or the company goes bankrupt I will not be eligible for JMA, right? Am I supposed to register for another health insurance plan?

thank you!
by cheeseface  

. 2007/10/22 10:59
Japanese National health insurance is available to everyone residing in Japan (not temporary visitors status).
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/22 11:23
Once you have quit your company you have to return the insurance card to your employer. Thus in between looking for a new employer you are not covered within the Japanese Insurance Plan.
by living in tokyo rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/22 11:46
Speaking from my (and my family's) plenty of experiences of job changes :)

Once you leave the company's health insurance scheme, you go to your city hall (or ward office) to report the fact, and to sign up for the Japanese National Health Insurance scheme (the one mentioned by John). When later you find another employer, you join their scheme, and again report to the city hall that you are leaving the National scheme. The amount you pay into the National scheme is determined by your previous year's income. If you have difficulty finding a new employer (therefore no income for a while), I think there is a way to sign up for the National scheme but be exempt from making a contribution for a while.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread