Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Handhelds banned? 2007/10/22 03:44
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25...

Is this article true? What about iPods?

If it is true, will I be able to bring my DS and PSP on the flight to Japan?

Also, if it's ture, would it be fine to simply not bring them onboard with me on the flight home?
by Nathan  

... 2007/10/22 10:33
I'm finding this report to be pretty suspect. I haven't been able to find anything about it yet in Japan.

I'm interested because I took 3 flights last week on JAL within Japan and saw kids using their ds's during the flights. I also used my ipod while landing without realizing it. Also, the flight attendants walked by and only asked us to put our seats up.

If this is a new law then they don't seem to be enforcing it. The only thing they seem to be strict about are cell phones.

I wouldn't worry about using your gaming system on the flight unless the flight attendant tells you not to.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/22 10:49
Well that is dated oct 3, it says only Japanese airlines. But no other RELIABLE source such as CNN or any other website is reporting such news.
by John. rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/22 12:36
http://www.mlit.go.jp/kisha/kisha07/12/120823_.html

This went into effect as of Oct. 1. As it seems, you cannot play games that require wireless radio (such as two units competing with each other)...just as wireless mouse cannot be used. Those game units with no radio function seem to be OK.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/22 13:17
Ah that makes sense, I fly all the time and airlines always have those "do not use devices in transmit mode".
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/22 13:24
I see. That shouldnt be a problem since I was planning to go by myself anyways.

Thanks for the replies!
by Nathan rate this post as useful

Wifi 2007/10/22 15:53
As it seems, you cannot play games that require wireless radio (such as two units competing with each other)
That also applies to Virgin Atlantic and British Airways which I took recently and I'm sure all other carriers. But indeed, they have now changed the usual announcements to mention that the wireless functionality of handheld game devices cannot be used during the flight.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread