Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it necessary? 2007/10/22 10:27
Hello, I plan to go to Japan in about 3 years and I am currently trying to learn the language. I loved the language way before my family and I even decided on going.
However, due to my concience and it's stupid insecurtiy, I have a question. Is learning Japanese an essential to being able to visit Japan?
by OP4EVER  

... 2007/10/22 11:18
I find Japan to be relatively easy to travel in with no language ability. You'll see English everywhere especially on signs, and if you should be capable of finding your way most of the time with a willingness to explore and the humility to ask people for directions. My advice would be to bring a map and write down the names of places and train stations to take with you before you hit the town. In the worst case you can show those to someone and they can point you in the right direction.

However, your trip will definitely be easier and more enjoyable directly related to your Japanese ability, but don't worry because you'll still have a good time without it.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

You will be fine! 2007/10/22 11:49
I went for five weeks with little to none Japanese language skills. I stayed with a family that had little to none English skills. I got along just fine and left the country knowing much, much more about Japanese language/culture than I ever thought I would.
by Dave G rate this post as useful

Just need patience 2007/10/22 20:11
I've been here since August and I pretty much have zero skill with the Japanese language. I've been able to pay bills and shop in many stores without problems.

I also write down the stations for the train/subway and other directions before I go out, and I carry a subway map with me all the time. You just need to be patient when you are traveling, and try to be observant of where you are and whatis around.

I've actually had less of a problem out and about in Tokyo with the language than with my coworkers, but that's another story.

'Please,' 'thank you,' and 'excuse me' goes a long way.
by Bob rate this post as useful

Arigatou minna! 2007/10/25 04:27
Thanks everybody!
by OP4EVER rate this post as useful

don't worry too much 2007/10/25 05:27
I think it would be helpful to know some words but not necessary if you are going to visit there as a tourist. As other posters mentioned above, many signs in Japan are dipicted in English and people there are helpful. Some speak English.
I can imagine how different it would be to visit a country whose primary language is other than your English. It won't be like visiting Canada, Australia, England, Singapore, former Hong Kong, Thaiwan, Phillipine, Europe, New Zealand, etc from USA as an example, those are all English speaking countries.
I remembered visiting USA for the first time (long time ago) and I spoke very little English then.
by cc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread