Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass - simpler explanation? 2007/10/25 20:38
Hi , I really need some help and explanation on JR pass. i have read the terms and condition on JR webiste and find it too confusing.

Basically, if i am just planning to go from Tokyo to Osaka and Kyoto by Shinkansen, is buying the 7 days Ordinary pass good enough. I am worried about terms like green car, reserved and unreserved seat. if i buy ordinary pass , will i be able to find a seat then. i am going on 2nd week of DEcember 2007.Also , can i use the JR pass to travel around tokyo area within the 7days validity??

thanks alot for helping
by Seck David  

. 2007/10/26 07:49
I'll try to make it as simple as I can:

If you make a round trip from Tokyo to Osaka within 7 Calendar Days, then it comes about even if not a little cheaper by JR Pass. If you are only going ONE WAY or not returning within 7 calendar days, then a JR pass is not worth it for that trip.

GREEN CAR - Is first class seats, there is much debate on getting a JR Green Car Pass or Ordinary Pass. MY personal opinion is on getting an ordinary car , the seats are just as comfortable. If you want opinions use the SEARCH function to read the endless debate.

RESERVED SEAT means just that, you have a preassigned reserved seat, EG car 5 seat 2A or something like that.

SEAT RESERVATIONS are FREE with the JR Pass.

UNRESERVED SEAT means no seat is preassigned and is free to everyone on a first come first serve basis.

can i use the JR pass to travel around tokyo area within the 7days validity?

YES but only on trains operated by JR "JAPAN RAILWAYS".
Subways, private rail lines, monorails etc etc are not JR.
by John rate this post as useful

JR Pass 2007/10/29 01:46
John gave you good accurate information. I would not pay the extra money for the green car pass. The regular seats are very comfortable and roomy. I believe you need reservations for most shinkansen trains. You can get your reservations when you exchange your JR pass voucher for the pass when you arrive in Japan.
by Happee rate this post as useful

Buy JR pass in Advance 2007/10/29 19:54
Can i buy JR pass 7 days

on Monday and start using them

on Wednesday? (Wednesday count as the 1st day use)

thx
by Hiri rate this post as useful

Start date 2007/10/29 21:33
Hiri, yes, when you exchange your voucher, you can specify the date when you want to have the pass start; it doesn't need to be on the date of the exchange.

As for Seck David's question, I would like to add that there is no need to reserve unless you are using reservation only trains. Especially when you get on the shinkansen starting from Tokyo, it has always worked for me to get in line for the non-reserved cars and get a seat. However, I usually do make reservations if I know in advance around what date and time I would like to travel; it is very convenient.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

JR Pass route 2007/10/30 09:00
Can JR pass be used for the following routes:
1. Narita airport to downtown Tokyo and back
2. Downtown Tokyo to Nikko and back
3. Within Tokyo (Akihibara, Comiket venue, etc.)
4. Tokyo to Kyoto and back
5. Tokyo to Mt Fuji, Hakone and back.
Thank you much in advance of nay help you can give.
-Ray
by Ray rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/30 09:17
Can JR pass be used for the following routes:
1. Narita airport to downtown Tokyo and back
2. Downtown Tokyo to Nikko and back
3. Within Tokyo (Akihibara, Comiket venue, etc.)
4. Tokyo to Kyoto and back
5. Tokyo to Mt Fuji, Hakone and back.
Thank you much in advance of nay help you can give.
-Ray

1. Yes if you use JR trains (see narita airport page)

2. Yes if you use JR trains, (see Nikko page)

3. Within Tokyo YES if you use JR trains. Comitket NO, as that is located on odaiba, no JR trains go to Odaiba, see page on Odaiba and TOkyo transportation.

4. Yes with limitations (see Kyoto travel page)

5. Partly (see hakone travel page for more information).

Again alot of this information can be gathered with just a little research here on Japan-guide.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread