Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

obligations towards japanese people? 2007/10/26 06:00
im trying to know abit more about the japanese culture.. if anyone can help..
i have more questions to ask..
by manar  

Japan 2007/10/26 10:09
Okay, so when you have some specific questions get back to us.
by Sira rate this post as useful

questions 2007/10/26 19:02
i would like to know what activities of the japanese are seen as public, and what activities are seen as private.?
what are the cultural attitudes towards the elderly?
by manar rate this post as useful

what do you mean by 2007/10/27 09:15
"activities of the japanese are seen as public, and what activities are seen as private.?"

Activities?, you mean like events? festivals? traditions?

or do you mean you want to score on Japanese women and need some place to take them, that wouldn't turn you away because you are foreign(joke)
by by the way rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/28 00:01
Manar,

I think you need to be a little more specific.

For example, if you can tell us why you are asking those questions and if you can say for example "Activities like this and that are seen as public in my country. Is it the same in Japan?" it would be easier for us to answer.

Meanwhile, I can tell you that for example eating lunch at a park bench is seen as public, and being nude is seen as private. And you are expected to respect the elderlies, but in reality, not all people do so.
by Uco rate this post as useful

differences 2007/10/28 18:37
But being nude is less private in Japan than it is in my country (NZ). It took me a long time to be comfortable with bathing nude with other women at onsen and sento in Japan (I consider that to be public) and it is only in the last couple of years that I can actually relax! I know western people who swear they can never go to an onsen because it's just too embarrassing.

i don't see how it can be embarrassing 2007/10/29 15:30
how is it embarrassing to bath nude? honestly, you just need to be proud of who you are, and what you are, human beings began life nude, it's not like everyone will stare at you intently

... 2007/10/29 19:11
To by the way,

Even the Japanese are embarrassed to a certain extent. It needs some getting used to.
by Uco rate this post as useful

but... 2007/10/30 09:27
again, just imagine yourself clothed or something, or just blank out everyone else and just relax, its something as you said that would take a lot of time for some people to over come but for others, it should come naturally

cultural differences 2007/10/30 10:04
I'm no longer embarrassed, but I used to be, and although people don't stare "intently" if you are the only non-Japanese in the bath they will definitely give you the once over!

My point is that things like nudity are perceived differently in different cultures. Japanese people are definitely more comfortable with it than people from my country. For a lot of men in particular bathing nude together is pretty much unthinkable where I come from.

Germans and possibly Scandinavians are well known for being more comfortable with nudity than other Europeans.

Japanese Culture 2007/10/31 03:44
I would suggest when you get to Japan, you actually go out of your way and befriend the locals, you will find they will reciprocate, on the whole the Japanese people are very friendly and go out of their way to help the lost and confused gaijin. With new friendships you will find exploring the culture very enjoyable, one of my chums took me along to his traditional drumming club also I have been do some of the crazy archery.
Word to the wise people who don't make an attempt to fit in whilst in Japan, those types who want to be treated differently for what ever reason and not want to try the local foods because they have 'special' habits don't expect the Japanese to be keen on the person or group.
by James rate this post as useful

the end.. 2007/10/31 17:49
i had a presentation about your country.. and these where some of the questions i had to adress... but anyways presentation is over thank god!! thanks guys for everything!!
by manar rate this post as useful

reply to this thread