Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Characteristics of Shinto Monks? 2007/10/27 14:50
I am doing some research with the hopes og developing an RPG based on feudal Japan. I have been going over the concept of a 'monk' class, and while the Buddhist sohei are very well-documented, I can't find a great deal of informations that discusses the character/behaviors of the average Shinto priest in medieval Japan.

I'm really at a loss to find any resources...there is plenty of general information about Shintoism, but this does not show the true character of the Shinto monks, just like reading a book on Buddhism would never lead you to think that a Buddhist group as militant as the sohei existed.

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much.
by Raharku  

Jinin 2007/10/30 21:57
In the medieval era, the lower-class Shinto priests referred to as gjininh worked not only on religious and other various tasks but also as guards carrying weapons. And some of those were reported to have been responsible for their rebellious violence and forceful petitions just as in the case of Buddhist militant monks.

For more info, see here:

http://eos.kokugakuin.ac.jp/modules/xwords/entry.php?entryID...
by mica rate this post as useful

Excellent Resource 2007/10/31 09:53
Thank you very much for the concise answer and the excellent resource. It promises to be much more illuminating than most sources I've seen so far.
by Raharku rate this post as useful

reply to this thread