Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Recording bilingual TV in Japan? 2007/10/28 02:39
Hi,

I have a question about the bilingual TV programmes / films that are sometimes broadcast on Japanese TV.

I'm considering picking up a cheap VCR soon, so I can record TV shows when I'm at work... including the nightly 7pm bilingual news programme on NTV.
(I know VCRs are old technology - but my budget won't stretch beyond getting a VCR - and I'm not planning to keep any of the recordings, so I don't need the best best quality recordings)

My question - it's possible to switch the language on bilingual broadcast TV shows while the show is shown on TV, but would it also be possible to do this during video playback of a recorded bilingual TV show?

Does the bilingual mode work just by using the 2 audio channels of the stereo audio - i.e. left for one language, right for the other language?

I'd be interested in any light anyone can shed on this.
HP
by HP  

vcr 2007/10/29 11:31
i was bored so i checked with my old vcr and it worked

if you have 音声出力switch on your vcr then simulcast works. it means sound output.

oh make sure you buy NTSC vcr

by hodad rate this post as useful

Bilingual 2007/10/29 11:33
HP,

You need to make sure that you get a VCR that records in stereo/bilingual. Cheap mono recorders won't be able to record the second language of bilingual programmes.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

It worked! 2007/11/9 22:41
Thanks for your replies - I bought a stereo VCR and it recorded and played back the bilingual TV broadcasts.
HP
by HP rate this post as useful

reply to this thread